Query in Atribute Browser to find descendants of notes?

Hi and thanks for any assistance,

I am trying to write a query in the AB window to find notes + descendants with a certain pattern…

Where I am getting stuck is in displaying the descendants of the parent notes rather than the query part. I guess I do not quite understand the group designators as good as I need to. More specifically, I seem to get stuck in understanding how to use the designators especially children and descendants. I have reviewed aTBRef but am still finding a bit of a block. I thought maybe some examples from the forum might help me as well as other people that have a “gap” here as well. Cheers.

Anyway…

I am good in the first part of the query up to & How do I display the designators in the second part of the the query?

For example:
$Name.icontains(^NotesIamTryingToFind) & ??

Thanks
Tom

Are we looking for all the descendant notes of any note(s) with a particular pattern in $Text, or descendants of given notes(s) where the descendants contain a particular pattern in text.

That doesn’t look quite right (though may work accidentally due to legacy syntax support). Assuming the ^ is intended as a start-of-string regex marker, I think best practice would be to use

$Name.icontains("^NotesIamTryingToFind")

As pattern string literal, whether including regex or note, in .contains/.icontains should be enclosed in quotes.

Perhaps

$Name(parent).icontains("some string")

If I understand the requirement, correctly, this query displays in AB the children of the parent(s) whose name satisfies the search string requirement. At least, over here it does.

Hi Mark

1. $Name.icontains("^NotesIamTryingToFind")
    Thanks for spotting this…

2.Are we looking for all the descendant notes of any note(s) with a particular pattern in $Text, or descendants of given notes(s) where the descendants contain a particular pattern in text.

I am looking for the parent with the above pattern + all descendants.
Thanks Tom

Thanks Paul. This works for me as well giving me all the notes in AB