Tinderbox Forum

The most efficient way to edit your notes

Hi

I’m trying to figure out how to edit multiple memos efficiently and have adopted the following methods, but is there a better way?

1. Create multiple blank memos in Outline View
  2. Switch between the view and the memo by clicking near the boundary between the outline view and the memo
  3. Editing the contents of a memo

By a ‘memo’ do you mean what Tinderbox normally calls a ‘note’? I’m not trying to be pedantic but to ensure we answer the next question.

To Mark’s point above, can you explain what you mean by “Switch between the view and the memo…”? Could you provide a screenshot?

A memo is a note that is generated by Note>Create Note.

click 1 and click 2 repeatedly to continue editing the contents of multiple notes.

I see.

Best I can tell, this is an efficient way. The white area where you say “Click 2” is the field for the $Text attribute, aka the body of your note. If you’d prefer to not use the mouse, after creating entering a title of a note, click return, then click TAB+⌥ which will make $Text for the selected not the focus. You won’t see the cursor blinking, just trust that it is the focus and start typing.

BTW, do you know the trick of creating multiple notes. If you hit the enter key after editing the title of the note in outline view, this will generate a new note. If you want the new not to be a chile of the current note hit SHIFT+⌥+Return.

BTW, are you using attributes a prototype for your memos? I could these being VERY useful for you. You could create a pMemo prototype so that your memo notes have a consistent view of attributes and default values, like “$Type=memo.” Also, if you add your notes to a container named memo, each time you add e a new not to this container, if you set an OnAdd, this will automatically give the new notes the memo prototype.

Here is a sample file: TBXSample_ForVictor.tbx (158.9 KB). In this file I create a prototype, an $OnAdd for Memos and a RelatedTo link action. Anytime you link a person to a note the person’s name will be added to the RelatedTo. Note the direction, person to note, not note to person (happy to explain more if you’d like). Hit ⌘1 to open the inspector.

I hope you find all this useful.

Ah - you want the shortcut for moving the current view selection (from the context of the text pane). With focus in the $Text area:

• ⌘+⌥+↑ selects the previous note in the view pane
  • ⌘+⌥+↓selects the next note in the view pane

More shortcuts: see here.

1 Like

It’s the same as Scrivener. I didn’t understand it when I looked at the Reverse Look-up Map.

Thank you very much.

1 Like