The most efficient way to edit your notes

Hi

I’m trying to figure out how to edit multiple memos efficiently and have adopted the following methods, but is there a better way?

1. Create multiple blank memos in Outline View
  2. Switch between the view and the memo by clicking near the boundary between the outline view and the memo
  3. Editing the contents of a memo

By a ‘memo’ do you mean what Tinderbox normally calls a ‘note’? I’m not trying to be pedantic but to ensure we answer the next question.

To Mark’s point above, can you explain what you mean by “Switch between the view and the memo…”? Could you provide a screenshot?

A memo is a note that is generated by Note>Create Note.

click 1 and click 2 repeatedly to continue editing the contents of multiple notes.

I see.

Best I can tell, this is an efficient way. The white area where you say “Click 2” is the field for the $Text attribute, aka the body of your note. If you’d prefer to not use the mouse, after creating entering a title of a note, click return, then click TAB+⌥ which will make $Text for the selected not the focus. You won’t see the cursor blinking, just trust that it is the focus and start typing.

BTW, do you know the trick of creating multiple notes. If you hit the enter key after editing the title of the note in outline view, this will generate a new note. If you want the new not to be a chile of the current note hit SHIFT+⌥+Return.

BTW, are you using attributes a prototype for your memos? I could these being VERY useful for you. You could create a pMemo prototype so that your memo notes have a consistent view of attributes and default values, like “$Type=memo.” Also, if you add your notes to a container named memo, each time you add e a new not to this container, if you set an OnAdd, this will automatically give the new notes the memo prototype.

Here is a sample file: TBXSample_ForVictor.tbx (158.9 KB). In this file I create a prototype, an $OnAdd for Memos and a RelatedTo link action. Anytime you link a person to a note the person’s name will be added to the RelatedTo. Note the direction, person to note, not note to person (happy to explain more if you’d like). Hit ⌘1 to open the inspector.

I hope you find all this useful.

Ah - you want the shortcut for moving the current view selection (from the context of the text pane). With focus in the $Text area:

• ⌘+⌥+↑ selects the previous note in the view pane
  • ⌘+⌥+↓selects the next note in the view pane

More shortcuts: see here.

1 Like

It’s the same as Scrivener. I didn’t understand it when I looked at the Reverse Look-up Map.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Dear Mr.Michael Becker
Thank you for your explanation.
Might I ask you some questions?
If I set down in pMemo linked particular person’s text,
how can New Note_X get linked address with in?
I add WAKAMATSU note in People grouping.
I change the text from your sample pMemp file, [ Sldfjlasjf ] to [ @WAKAMATSU ] ,
My new Note_G get a [ @WAKAMATSU], but linkage behavior dropped out.
How should I designate this linked address as an onAdd behaviour?
thx and regards, WAKAMATSU kunimitsu

Hi there. My guess is that you are not selecting the RelatedTo link type when making the link. The link type action won’t trigger until you’ve selected this link type.

Dear Mr. Michael Becker,
Thanks so much for your informations.
After updating Tinderbox from ver.8.6 to ver.9.0.0,
I got it.
Might I ask you some questions?
About [ RelatedTo link ] & [Back Link]

Is it possible to create a list of [ Back Link ] to all these files to the “WAKAMATSU” Note created using [ RelatedTo link ]?
If there are only a few files, I can create the back links manually, but if it is possible, can I “automatically” write the name of the original [Note] into the [WAKAMATSU] Note, as in the example?
Currently, I am using the “Person” category, but in the future I would like to be able to automatically allocate it to “Music”, “Performer”, “Composer”, “Philosopher”, “Aesthete”, “Critic”, etc.
If I can make this list of backlinks “writable”, then my Tinderbox 9 will have the same functionality as the current “automatic backlinks” feature in Emacs 27.2 using org-roam.
I do not know enough about Tinderbox to fully grasp its features.
Please forgive me if this is a rude question.
Respectfully, WAKAMATSU

What a great question. I’m not familar with emacs, and not exactly clear on what you mean by backlinks. The Tinderbox action code can be used to values between both the source and destination notes that are being linked. You can pass any value you want to any attribute. Is there a chance you could give me a demo file of what you want to do? If if that is not clear, perhaps handwrite out a picture and then we can re-create it in Tinderbox.

Dear Mr. Michael Becker,
Thanks so much for your reply.
I apologize for the inconvenience.
I can not explain it well at this stage.
Please take a look at the org-roam user manual.
Org-roam User Manual
[Org-roam User Manual]

Here are a few extracts from it.
The way of linking is I used almost the same method for linking.

An alternative mode of insertion is using Org-roam’s roam links. Org-roam registers this link type, and interprets the path as follows:
• [[roam:title]]links to an Org-roam file with title or alias “title”
• [[roam:headline]]links to the headline “headline” in the current Org-roam file
• [[roam:title
headline]]links to the headline “headline” in the Org-roam file with title or alias “title”

:bind (:map org-roam-mode-map
((“C-c n l” . org-roam)
(“C-c n f” . org-roam-find-file)
(“C-c n g” . org-roam-graph))
:map org-mode-map
((“C-c n i” . org-roam-insert))
((“C-c n I” . org-roam-insert-immediate)))
ーーーーーーーーーーー
The following is an overview of the files using Emacs 27.2.
The file titled
No.01 : index file ,
No.02 : 2020-10-18-1445.
No.03 : Output screen from the server of the file created by org-roam.
(This is similar to the hyperbolic view in Tinderbox)
We can also click on a file to view its contents.
We can also click on a file to view its contents (although we will need to click Enable Previrw in our browser).
Please give me a piece of advice.
Thx and regards, WAKAMATSU

I think I understand the issue here. First, I think it is helpful to establish some points about Tinderbox:

• All internal links in Tinderbox are _one-way.
  • There are no built-in Tinderbox link types “Back link” or “RelatedTo” but you can add your own link types via the Inspector.
  • There is no notion of a back-link in Tinderbox, but:
    • You can insert a Tinderbox link in the opposite direction to an existing link to form an explicit ‘back link’
    • Link-based queries like links(), and linkedFrom() allow you to examine inbound links , i.e. implicit back-links

So, can get the title ($Name) of every notes that link to note “WAKAMATSU”, i.e. where the link directions is note → WAKAMATSU? Consider the file below - all the notes are on one map, but only so you can see all the links:

Let us collect the names of all inbound links to “WAKAMATSU” and store these in the $MyList attribute of “WAKAMATSU”:

$MyList = links.inbound..$Name;

This gives the $MyList the listing “aa;bb;cc”. So far, so good! But, you wanted to filter for a link type ‘RelatedTo’. So, we change the code:

$MyList = links.inbound."RelatedTo".$Name;

Now $MyList has only one value, “aa”.

I hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Dear Doctor Mark Anderson,
Thanks a lot for your reply and instructions.
I will make a study on.
I am not sure how long it will take.
It might take a while.
Respectfully yours, WAKAMATSU

1 Like

Mark, nice explanatio. @WAKAMATSU you’ll find the operations the Mark points above in my last linking video.

May I ask a question? What outcome are you looking to accomplish. Is it the link paths and names to and from a not that you want? When making a link, do you want to pass attribute values back and forth between notes? In the end, what insight are you looking for from the links and how will you use them?

If we start with where you want to end up, we can then work backwards.

Dear Doctor Mark Anderson,
Dear Mr.Michael Becker,
Thank you for your guidance.
I will check on your linking video.
I would like to get [ link path ] and [ names ] in my particular Index Note.
(reciprocating linking if possible)
A Tinderbox Zettelkasten starter file - File Exchange - Tinderbox Forum
[A Tinderbox Zettelkasten starter file]
ZKN Demo.tbx is usefull for me.
In this tbx file, [ Keyword ] or [ Persons ]these connecting node are very helpfull for me.
In this “ZKN Demo.tbx”, unfortunately, we can read the contents of each note, but we can not return to the screen of your choice by clicking on the note.
With org-roam-mode in Emacs27.2, you can keep the relationship between notes, check them, and jump to any note you want at any time. This is the reason why I keep using Emacs 27.2.

From there (“ZKN Demo.tbx”), I would like to have BackLinks
to Zettelkastens Index file(or Note).(reciprocating linking if possible)
(at present there is no Index Note contain)

This kind of behaviour will bring the idea into shape, I believe.
What do you think about it ?
Yours sincerely, WAKAMATSU

Maybe we are making this harder than it needs to be. If you’re simply looking to navigate between linked notes then all you need to do is open the Links Pane (⌘7). You’ll see a list of the inbound and outbound notes linked to a given note. To navigate between the notes, just double click on a note in the Link Pane you want to navigate to.

Dear Mr.Michael Becker,
Thank you for your some attempt solutions.

I would like to provide an explanation to the most important my concept to understand.
if I can still use the word,
[ terminus ad quem ]
01: When I create a new note, the name of the new note itself is automatically written to the Index file.
02:If I click on the file name written in the Index, I can jump to the corresponding file.
03: Accumulate only those files that contain both Querry Link inbound and outband.
04: Classify from the collection according to the name of the Querry Tag.
05:Exclude Prototype from the list of inbound Links & outband Links.

[ draft proposal ]
Suppose you want to make WAKAMATSU note an index file.
A01. If you create a new note in WAKAMATS, the link will be created automatically.
(Create a new note using ziplink function?)
A02. create a link to WAKAMATSU in the new note using the ziplink function.
A03. Note_X will be lumped together (using $Agent?).
A04. put a “Classification” Tag on Note_X and sort it by name.
Sorry to put you to the trouble.
Respectfully, WAKAMATSU

Dear Mr.Michael Becker,
I would like to know how can I give a description of instruction word.
How should I describe it?
Please tell me how to write for the following problems.

1. How to give a specific name to a new file.

2. Suggested file name is “Name + Date”.
    I think this is an application of what I learned in “TBX L - OnAdd. tbx”. I am thinking.
    $Name=$Created.format(“y-M0-D h:mm:s”);
    (Currently, I am using A Tinderbox Reference.
    (Trying to find out by accessing A Tinderbox Reference File, but the link is not working because The requested URL was not found [2021/06/29 16:29:56], now ).

3. How do I get the Index to write the name of a given new file?
    I would be very grateful if you could help me with the above three points.
    Respectfully yours, WAKAMATSU