A visual guide to note icons in an outline

Request: Can you help improve this post? This is a wiki so if you have permission and would like to edit this post, click edit.

1. Are these symbols called icons in tinderbox?
  2. Are my explanations correct?
  3. Why do some notes have different color backgrounds?
  4. Can you improve the title of this post?
  5. Am I missing any?

When you are in outline view there are icons that give you visual information about a note. For example:

• Prototype=Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.05.38 PM

• A note with no text= Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.07.29 PM

• A note with one line of text Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.09.13 PM

• A note with several lines of text Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.10.03 PM

• An agent Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.11.02 PM

• A note with an inbound link Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.11.52 PM

• a note with an outbound link Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.15.44 PM

• A note with an inbound and outbound link Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.13.18 PM

• Notes with different color backgrounds indicate the age of note. Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 5.17.15 PM

For more information go to the comprehensive explanation over at aTBRef

1 Like

See aTbRef on this topic.

Iā€™m not grasping this use of a wiki. Looks to me like a different way to format a thread. In this case, one that overlaps with aTbRef. Would probably be better to feed suggested updates on aTbRef to @mwra rather than start yet another reference file.

Maybe better clarity on whatā€™s wiki, whatā€™s content for aTbRef, whatā€™s a conversation thread?

Thanks for the link to aTBRef. I didnā€™t see it. Iā€™m fine if this message is deleted. Before asking a question I usually try to find it on aTBRef and in the forums.

You are rightā€¦ . it is a different way to format a thread. Instead of asking my question, ā€œwhy do notes have different backgroundsā€ and getting several responses I thought it would be helpful to share what I knew and have others fill in the blanks.

I see this entire discussion board as a reference file. My intention is to try to make it more useful. If it isnā€™t then I wonā€™t do it.

FWIW, aTbRef is already to a large extent a summary of insights arising from 3 (4?) generations of TB community wikis/fora. Itā€™s why aTbRef gets edited weekly if not daily. Indeed on first opening the thread I was already copying aTbRef links for a reply.

Whilst there is a link above to aTbRef on the content and type the note actually embraces this as well.

Not an auspicious start. I mean no disrespect to @Steve_Scott whoā€™s motive is good. But this thread really reminds me why I hated using the old Tinderbox wiki. For all the good stuff there, 99% of posters assumed someone else would make their copy readable, link it etc. People would essentially ā€˜ownā€™ a page (I donā€™t mean their actual biography/profile page), but rather people would page-squat and use that page to add content that ought to go elsewhere, essentially making it their private forum.

I put a lot of time and effort into keeping up this forum (and the Backstage, and aTBref, and demos, andā€¦) but if Iā€™m going to have to spend time every day making wiki edits into meaningful stuff, I think I may hang up my hat here as the admin load would be much higher for no real return. By all means have a wiki, but please not hereā€”i.e. not in this forum/URL.

Also, please everyone, donā€™t even think of starting a wiki page here without first checking this information is not already covered elsewhere. This community is responsive and youā€™ll get a yes/no pretty fast. Otherwise weā€™ve unnecessary duplication and more confusion for learners who already think things are complicated.

Sorry if this sounds glass half empty, but please think about the behind-the-scences effort needs for usable wiki content: itā€™s much more than your imagine.

1 Like

Ok, lesson learned. I get that my approach is not welcome and Iā€™m ok with that.

FWIW, here are my reflections on this experience:

1. when I started my post I had no idea what to ask for. . . I guessed that these symbols would be called icons so I searched atbref using the search term icon. The first 10 hits didnā€™t seem to find anything. Then I searched for ā€œicon outlineā€ and couldnā€™t find anything.
  2. I then searched the built in help and Iā€™ll I could find was
  3. I started to write a post asking about a question and I thought that it would be more helpful to the community if I shared what I knew.

Let me row back a bit: Iā€™ve messaged @Steve_Scottā€™s but Iā€™ll note that fact here. His suggestion has merit: the devil is in the detail.

The point about the discoverability of info in aTbRef (or elsewhere) is an issue. Google refuses to index the site )I canā€™t get anyone competent to engage on why). Thatā€™s why Iā€™ve added a DuckDuckGo search to all pages as a fall-back. aTbRef is hosted on my (shared, Linux) VPS, so Iā€™m open to improvement ideas. For instance, is there an indexing tool I could put on my server so we donā€™t have to rely on Google, which keeps breaking its tools (move fast, break stuff: I know thatā€™s the cool kids way)?

It is possible to download the aTbRef TBX and use Tinderbox to find topics, even if you then prefer to read them online.

The app help probably needs some manual indexing. The (HTML) pages for the helps are, youā€™ve guessed, made in a TBX so if not already indexed perhaps a volunteer could help with that. Indeed, perhaps we could set $Tags for key (all?) aTbRef notes. I think human curated indexing still tends to outdo machine-matching in terms of signal to noise, but itā€™s harder work.

1 Like

@mwra, I tried to reply to your private message, but I accidentally replied here!

Thanks for your message in private and here. It is a challenge for me to find things because I sometimes donā€™t know the terms Iā€™m looking for and evenif I have the correct terms I sometimes canā€™t find it.

Again, grateful for all of the people willing to help perennial tbx novices like me!

1 Like

@Steve_Scott Take heart, youā€™re not alone on this one. :slight_smile: Weā€™ve recently (i.e. earlier today) a positive exchange in a different thread on the creating of a vocabulary map (aka a Tinderbox rosetta stone). It will be a lot of fun to work on this as the nuances in the language carry a lot of meaning.

1 Like