Any way to have flag text be a plus sign?

Admittedly trivial, but I’ll ask in case the answer is a simple one.

I have found the need to have a flag contain a plus sign, but this turns it into a “Cross symbol.” Any way to have the code exempt this and just show a “+”?

$Flags="-.black";

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 9.54.44 AM

$Flags="+.black";

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 9.54.26 AM

Question still stands, but I have figured out a workaround, using the “Open Centre Cross” emoji (✛):

$Flags="✛.black";

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.04.45 AM

Still interesting in how to escape the plus sign, but here’s a completely serviceable workaround using emoji selector for: EN DASH, PLUS SIGN, PLUS-MINUS SIGN

$Flags="‒.black";
$Flags="+.black";
$Flags="±.black";

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 10.49.34 AM

1 Like

Looking at the documentation I have for $Flags, + and - are both part of the flag styling syntax. But, I’d agree that it’s fair to expect a + to work as all other characters if placed _before a period.

This looks like an unexpected edge case parsing glitch.

2 Likes

@beck I’m curious, what do you use flags for? Can you share some use cases?

I’m working on some qualitative data analysis and am testing an idea where I drag notes to adornments so they inherit flags and tags. It’s a proof-of-concept, my actual analysis will likely involve containers instead of adornments so that instead of dragging, I can read through data and create zip links anytime I want to code something. I have a proof-of-concept of that approach, too, and now just need to figure out a way to merge them.

Here’s a little video (there’s no sound) of the flag/adornment approach:

1 Like

Well, this was fun. First off, big thanks to @beck for teaching me about flags. I put them to use today in a product road-mapping effort to help my team understand what is in our pilot release vs commercial readi-release and what is specifically related to our TIP effort. Super cool, see below.

Few learnings.

1. Flags are a set. This took me a bit to realize, figure it out once look at them
  2. Stamps work crate to add different flags to a note, $Flags=$Flags+“TIP.magenta”
  3. Flags can be text or different formats (see the documentation)
  4. Flags will NOT display if the notes are in a composite (I wish they would; see image w/yellow arrow above)

Next steps, I want to play with conditional actions and linkTo triggers for more refined analysis.

Thanks again, @beck.

1 Like

Hm. Actually Flag data is stored in $Flags which is a List-type attribute, not a Set. You link to my notes on Note Flags where I state:

Flags are defined via $Flags, a List-type attribute.

Is that unclear? The text even links to the page on the $Flags attribute so you can read further if needed.

See also: List Data Type and Set Data Type

HTH :slight_smile:

I stand corrected, list not set. Sorry. Any way, what I meant was that it acts like list so that is how you update it and have multiple entries by user “;”. This was not immediately clear to m.

1 Like

No worries. I was trying to figure out, given the data available. Where did you lose the trail? This isn’t critique of you, I’m genuinely interested in how my docs failed.

OK, it’s not possible to document every corner of the app as a complete self-contained description from first principles. But…

My assumption is that if someone sees a description of an attribute type they don’t understand they’d look it up. The app Help page on ‘Attributes’ says:

Lists are strings separated by semicolons, and are useful for lists of topics, categories, and tags.

My note on the List type starts:

List
A semi-colon delimited list of string values.

How might this info be easier to find? What sort of terms were you searching on?

Did not take it as a critique. I’m 7 years + 4 weeks with Tinderbox and experiencing so much joy with it now I’m almost giddy. :slight_smile: I can’t speak for everyone, but my challenge has been all about getting the logical foundation. I do not come from a software background, or strictly business, or scientific for that matter. It has taken a while for the cobwebs in my brain to clear and the power of Tinderbox to unveil itself and bestow its grace. As you noted in another post, we tend to bring our past experience (aka “baggage”, my words not yours) to the Tinderbox experience. Once we’re ready to let this go we can embrace Tinderbox. Keith, Bruce, and I are going to try to make some materials to share our experiences and help be people get “there” faster. At least that is our goal. Thanks, and with much gratitude. :slight_smile:

1 Like

No problem and really pleased you’re making progress. I hear you on not coming from a particular background and field. It means I often don’t the self-imposed barriers of being from a discipline, but it also means I just get stuck on things everyone else finds easy. :roll_eyes:

Several symbols have a special significance in flags. As noted above, “+” is used in flags like Sweden’s: blue+yellow.. Special characters include >*+.$%}.

Starting in b478, this special treatment is eliminated if the character is the first letter in the flag. This does not affect current use, because the intent of the special character is to separate two colors. If you do want to reproduce the effect of the flag “+red”, use “none+red” instead.

1 Like

As flags allow up to three characters before a period as the start of the flag code, a ‘+’ might validly occur in string positions 0, 1 or 2. For instance: “AA+.red>blue” where the text label is ‘AA+’.