Article on pasting tab-based text outlines into Tinderbox views

See new article Pasting tab-indented outlines into a view. I’m sure this used to be covered but I can’t find it in today’s aTbref. so, new article!

Another of those you-may-never-need-it things, but for those that do it is real useful.

Writing the article, in response to some current threads here, does bring home to me how easily we assume our experience is the definitive norm for as given task or subject. In the case of ‘outliners’ that turns out to be highly subjective. No one is ‘wrong’ but nor are they ‘right’ … as with no much of life we too readily reduce things to unwanted binary choices.

Anyway, I hope the new article helps those trying to port simple single-plain-text-file based outlines into Tinderbox.

Tip, you can do the reverse. Tinderbox is fairly expressive with data from a copy-pasted selection from an outline view. Of course, the result depends on both source data and the assumptions made by the receiving app. So q.v. my comment above re pointless zero-sum assessments of good vs. bad.

Hmm, I suspect the latter suggests I might need an another new article. But as, apart from basic testing, never copy/paste outlines out of Tinderbox, it might be useful to get input on this from those who do. For instance, what does/doesn’t make it through to the receiving context?

3 Likes

That is very helpful Mark, thank you.

One of the challenges in pasting on the Mac is making sure that the receiving app makes the right use of what is on the clipboard (or pasteboard). When you copy something, the app in which you make the copy can place more than one representation of what is being copied onto the clipboard. The receiving application decides which of those representations to use when you paste into it. An intermediate app like Gladys can show you the different representations. More importantly you can select one of the representations to drag and drop or copy into the receiving application. In this way you can sometimes help the target application to do the right thing with the copied material by obliging it to use a particular representation of the copied material.

Likely you know this, but others may find this detail useful.

3 Likes

Gladys is new to me, so thanks for that. And, yes, I concur.

Also useful, this Clipboard Viewer app. IIRC is it essentially a built-and-shared version of a project otherwise only available to those with Xcode installed. Even if one can’t always use what’s shown as stored, iIve found the info as to what’s there useful when corresponding with app devs when paste (or copy) seems to not work as imagined.

As someone once sang:

You can’t always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well, you might find
You get what you need

So these helpers do help.

1 Like