Tinderbox Forum

AS (Apple Script) app to add attributes to TBX

I’m working on my “architecture” to have a reusable set of action code functions. If I copy a function to a new TBX file I run into the problem that I need to create the user attributes used in the function manually. So I created a small AS app that will solve this issue for me.

addTBXAtt.zip (56.9 KB)

This is an AppleScript app with the source included - you can open it with the Script Editor if you like.
if you don’t like to jump into the AS world - just place the app anywhere on your Mac, copy the path to the app and enter this action code in TBX:

$MyString = runCommand("osascript ~/Desktop/addTBXAtt.app 'FirstAttribute:string;SecondAttribute:number'");

A good place may be a stamp - since you need to run it only once. The parameter is a string containing any number of attributes to be created. Its “name:type” separated by a “;”.

Maybe useful for someone :wink:

P.S.: The hard thing to solve were some security issues I ran into on my Mac. The security settings are getting weird in the current Mac OS releases…

5 Likes

Love this. Here is a nice add on. Let’s say your want to get a list of all the attributes you use in a file. So that you can pull out a list of attribute:type pairs to add to @webline’s stamp above. Do this:

1. Open you file
  2. Create this stamp
var vAttrList = document["user-attributes"];
$Text =;
$Text = "Number of user attributes: " + vAttrList.count + "\n";
vAttrList.each(anAttr){
   var vAttrKeys = attribute(anAttr)["type"];
	$Text = $Text+"\n"+ anAttr +":"+ vAttrKeys+ ";";
};
  1. Create a note, call it “MyAttributres” (the name does not matter)
  2. Apply the stamp in step 2 above to the note created in step 3.
    You’ll get something like this:

You can then manually go through the list and pull out the attributes you want to create in your standard stamp.

4 Likes

so with two functions it will be easy to move functions, notes including all user attributes to a new TBX file:

function getAllUserAttributes_db(){
	// write all user attributes to a note
	var vAttrList = document["user-attributes"];
	$Text =;
	vAttrList.each(anAttr){
		var vAttrKeys = attribute(anAttr)["type"];
		$Text = $Text + anAttr + ":" + vAttrKeys + ";";
	};
};

function createUserAttributes_db(theAttributes){
	// call the external AS app and pass all attributes you need
	// you may use the content of the $Text created with getAllUserAttributes_db()
	// make sure you add the correct path to the AS app here!!!
	var createAttCommand = "osascript ~/Documents/Tinderbox/addTBXAtt.app '" + theAttributes + "'";
	$MyString = eval("runCommand(createAttCommand)");
}
1 Like

Is there a way to pull the list of attributes from the $Text of a note? I’d love to be more selective in the attributes I pull over, not all the attributes in a file.

call createUserAttributes_db($Text) with the content of a note you select - for example the note you filled with getAllUserAttributes_db() and copied to the new file.
createUserAttributes_db(Attributlist:string) takes whatever you pass as long as the format is “name:type;” - this includes the text content of a note stored in $Text

1 Like

on request I added the option to pass a 3rd parameter for an attribute → the DefaultValue for that attribute. So if you pass an attribute to the AS app:

“AttName:AttTyp:AttDefault” or “AttName:AttTyp”

would do it. Like: “MyNewAttribute:string:one small step” or “MyNewAttribute:string” both would create the attribute $MyNewAttribute.

addTBXAtt2.zip (57.2 KB)

2 Likes