Attribute Browser view appears to "leap"

Wondering if I’m the only one experiencing this, and how I might get around it.

Project has:

• around 5200 Notes
  • very few Agents (under 10), and
  • zero images.

Action - I am working in the Attribute Browser. I’m trying to group and optimize my Notes; first step is to sort them under a $Category User Attribute.

Issue - While in the Attribute Browser (editing $Name or $Category entries), my current position appears to “jump”, and I am pulled back to a different spot. The location of the jump-back spot is not always the same - it will go back to the same spot sometimes, other times to different locations. Just now, for the last few jumps, it’s been leaping to the end of the list.

When I make any change to any Note, this “jump” definitely executes once I have confirmed the edit to the Note.

Does anyone have an explanation or fix for this behavior?

It sounds like a condition seen occasionally in Outline view wherein after scrolling the view it ‘jumps’ to a different location.

I’ve not seen the above in AB view and I recall being able to work with the view scrolled away from the current selection. Other things to consider: are you changing note text/attributes such that the note’s position (or even presence in the view)? As noted, you are sorting on $Category and so if editing those values, items will move in the view (when the view updates) if the view is sorted under $Category item headings.

FYI, re Outline view: in this case it is because, with good intent, the view pane is scrolling the view so the selected item is visible within the view pane. The solution is that when scrolling, on completing the scroll, immediately select any visible item before starting another scroll movement; on arrival at the part of the view with the desired view, select the target note.

1 Like

I think this might be a performance bottleneck in the attribute browser. If you can share the document and explain how to reproduce the issue, that might be helpful.

1 Like

These are solid insights, thanks @mwra.

This is correct. My current Note doesn’t change; only the left-side scroll position. However, it doesn’t help when I’m attempting to select multiple Notes for QuickStamping.

Other things to consider: are you changing note text/attributes such that the note’s position (or even presence in the view)? As noted, you are sorting on $Category and so if editing those values, items will move in the view (when the view updates) if the view is sorted under $Category item headings.

No, the jumping occurs spontaneously. All i need to do is scroll somewhere on the left side, and leave the keyboard untouched for 3-5 seconds, and it jumps. It takes place before I have the chance to edit values.

I’ll create a working example and forward it to you, thanks @eastgate.

Update - acting on the indication of a performance bottleneck, I reduced the scope of the Attribute Browser and limited it to one (large - 900-ish Notes) Container. Everything working smoothly :ok_hand:

1 Like