Big Sur -- Good to Go?

Any concerns from @eastgate or others with running Tinderbox 8 on Big Sur?

I think we’ll be OK, but until a system ships, you don’t know. Catalina broke Tinderbox for a few days, though it was fine with all the betas.

2 Likes

I’ve had no problems (not that I’ve noticed, anyway). And (bonus) Watching a Notes folder seems to be working (for those unaware, it didn’t work in Catalina)

2 Likes

Thanks, Nick. You anticipated a question I was thinking of: will Notes watching work again. Good to know.

It runs perfectly on Big Sur!

2 Likes

I can’t resist showing you a new atlas I’ve just began to set on Big Sur: it’s a very nice interface which sublimes Tinderbox maps and Attribute browser! How great this tool is!

1 Like

Very nice.

Ah, Bishop Berkeley. I recall when I studied Modern, I wondered “who is this guy, Berkeley – is he for real?” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes! Bishop and philosopher. I reread his commonplace book. That’s why I needed a commonplace tool. :wink:

1 Like

I take that to be a knowing reference!

I only know of Berkeley from the story of him told by James Boswell in his Life of Samuel Johnson:

‘After we came out of the church, we stood talking for some time together of Bishop Berkeley’s ingenious sophistry to prove the nonexistence of matter, and that every thing in the universe is merely ideal. I observed, that though we are satisfied his doctrine is not true, it is impossible to refute it. I never shall forget the alacrity with which Johnson answered, striking his foot with mighty force against a large stone, till he rebounded from it – “I refute it thus .”’

I was also told by a colleague that when Berkeley once went to visit someone (perhaps Swift?), he refused to open the door to him on the grounds that it ought not to be an obstacle to him and he ought to be able to enter without it being open.

2 Likes

His letters to Samuel Johnson are particularly interesting on that point: does matter exist when there is nobody to see it? For instance, does wood burn in the hearth since no one is here to see its burning? That’s why I need a strong tool to map that very strange thought.

Zoom would have given old George palpitations. Do all those images on the screen show real people or is the Zoom meeting just an idea.

1 Like

Very nice indeed! I am embarrassed to admit I never thought of having an attribute browser handy in a separate window while working with a map or outline. That is a great idea.

As for the good Bishop, I can’t think of him without thinking of this succinct (and I think accurate) account of his proof of God’s existence:

There was a young man who said “God
Must find it exceedingly odd
To think that the tree
Should continue to be
When there’s no one about in the quad.”

“Dear Sir: Your astonishment’s odd;
I am always about in the quad.
And that’s why the tree
Will continue to be
Since observed by, Yours faithfully, God.”

There is an issue -apparently to be resolved too - causing the WWW globe to not be depicted for hyperlinks

See: