Can I set a default view for an item

New TBX user here. Apologize if this has been asked before - is there a way to set a default view for an item? So if I had two items - say item_1 and item_2. Is it possible to make it such that when I click item_1 it open the contents in outline view but when I click on item_2 it opens the contents in map view.

Hi and welcome to the forum. The short answer is No.

Actually, when you click a note in any view, that note’s contents ‘open’ in the text pane of the current tab.

So it may be terminology disconnect here. Nothing in either the view (left) or text (right) pane changes the view type of a given type. A tab retains its view type, unless until the user uses a menu or shortcut to alter the view type. It is also possible to:

• Open the selected item in a new tab, whose view type defaults to the calling tab’s view type.
  • ‘hoist’ a view so the scope is only part of the document; a map view only ever has the scope of its parent container.

Given the above, could you clarify what you mean by “…I click item_1 it open the contents in outline view…” as it might help to give you a more useful answer. :slight_smile:

Thank you! You interpreted what I said correctly - I was wondering if nodes could have different default view types (it seems the answer is no)

Could you explain what you meant by:

‘hoist’ a view so the scope is only part of the document; a map view only ever has the scope of its parent container.

A good place to start reading is here: Breadcrumb bar (for hoisted main views).

HTH

I think the confusion is a note/node doesn’t ‘have’ a view. Rather a view ‘has’ nodes. Akin to Engelbart’s viewspecs in NLS (though not based on then), Tinderbox offers a choice of multiple ways of displaying the notes in the document. Not all views show all notes, and those that do can be altered to show only a subset of the documents notes. For any given note, what aspects of the note are shown in the view varies by view. But, perhaps that explains the disconnect, especially as map is the default view.

The ‘box’ you see on screen for a note (in map view) is not like a text-box as in a drawing app. Instead, it is an object that can display information pertaining to the note but it is not a free form text box or spreadsheet display grid, nor is it a database form. The see information about a note, select it and the text pane (right pane of the tab shows) information about the note.

So the default view of a note is the text pane.