Clip to Tinderbox v9 services

As someone was asking for them, here is a re-post of the two services I made for Tinderbox 9 (last issued/updated December 2021): TBv9-services.zip (4.4 MB)

There are two services:

• Clip Safari Selection-URL to Tinderbox v9
  • Clip Selection to Tinderbox v9

The files are ‘.workflow’ files created with Apple Automator, so you can modify them if you so choose. The workflows you with to use should be inserted into your user Library’s Services folder at ~/Library/Services.

2 Likes

Thanks for these !

Question when using automator service such as this , can the URL which is extracted in body of the note be extracted in note attribute of URL ?

I know this can be done while doing imports via CSV , but applescripts can do the same? Quick Revert with ChatGPT gave me this but didn’t work

EDITED → Right script given below

I’m not sure that reads as you meant it to. Can you clarify? It might help to explain what you currently get and this post was 18 months ago and I’ve forgotten how they work (as I don’t use them myself).

It is worth noting that Automator and macOS services are in an odd place. Apple seemingly would like to kill AppleScript and has studiously ignored and not updated it for years (luckily for us all it’s heavily embedded in the publishing industry). The latest supposed replacement is iPhone style reminders which are, from experiment, next to useless as built for phone type tasks, it lacks the features to do sensible desktop type tasks.

1 Like

My Bad. Testing done , it works now

I modified your script via CHATGPT , it now clips the text selected into Tinderbox and website URL is loaded into attribute URL

on run {input}
	try
		-- Get the current frontmost application's bundle identifier
		tell application "System Events" to set activeApplication to bundle identifier of 1st process whose frontmost is true

set dataString1 to input as Unicode text

-- Get the URL from Safari
		tell application "Safari"
			set theURL to URL of current tab of front window
		end tell

-- Switch to Tinderbox and create a note
		activate application "Tinderbox 9"
		tell application "Tinderbox 9"
			set docs to documents
			if 0 < length of docs then
				set doc to front document
			else
				set doc to make new document
			end if
			tell front document
				tell (make new note with properties {name:dataString1})
					set value of its attribute "Text" to dataString1
					if theURL is not equal to "" then
						set value of attribute "URL" to theURL
					end if
				end tell
			end tell
		end tell

-- Switch back to the original frontmost application
		activate application id activeApplication
	on error errmsg
		-- Uncomment the below line to display errors
		--display dialog "Error while executing service:" & errmsg buttons {"Close"}
	end try
end run

2 Likes

This I Whole heartedly agree , they keep sacrificing usability for iOSness. Control Panel is a serious example of this

1 Like