Creating a Pros and Cons Table

I am trying to create a Pros and Cons table with the help of notes and HTML. And will further be exporting it in the HTML format.
I am requesting clarity and guidance on the following topics : 1) The Export Preview is not as expected at all. How do i make it look like the expected image

Screenshot 2021-10-13 at 4.33.22 PM

1. Is defining columns correctly possible (i.e <<>>>) ?

Test Three Tinderbox.tbx (99.1 KB)

Thanks for the test do, itā€™s helps immediately show the problem. Garbage in, garbage outā€”for tables you need to think how each note is exported or included. The preview of note 'list Just you use of inheritance

The error here is youā€™re not thinking through the export. The normal way to export a table from

Yes, if you create your outline and templates in a way that complement each other. You challenge were is you are thinking in grid/Excel terms. For Table export via an outline you have to think of rows as sibling items are on the same row, you canā€™y process by walking the tree, but need to use more deliberate includes orā€”ughā€”nested tables. Actually using styled <div>s instead of tables would make more sense.

What does this mean in HTML table terms? Itā€™s a form of mark-up Iā€™ve never seen for HTML.

So, if we re-draw your table for sense and add an extra ā€˜conā€™ so weā€™ve different numbers of pro & con (for test/build purposes), it looks like this:

Book1 2021-10-13 14-11-00

But, for HTML table design terms we see it like this:

Book1 2021-10-13 14-41-10

You canā€™t change how HTML works or the overall method of export. But at this point the latter helps u understand the HTML structure. Indeed it can help to actually make the HTML and then figure out how to to work. Data for 'note ā€˜Pro2ā€™ needs to write into a cell spanning 2 columns and 3 rows. You the user will have to figure that out - by calculation or my setting those items manually.

Iā€™m thinking on that latter task, but there are some of the issue to mull on and my work-in-progress TBX: Table-export.tbx (137.5 KB)

Note Iā€™ve added/used appropriate prototypes for templates (so thinks like quote-type substitution donā€™t occur.

This is an interesting problem!

As Mark Anderson has pointed out already, some of the puzzles here arise because HTML doesnā€™t expect tables like this. Iā€™m sure we can coax HTML to do what we want!

But perhaps we donā€™t need to. Letā€™s step back: what is the purpose or goal here? Are you informing yourself, or preparing a one-time management report, or preparing this for publication? Is it a one-time thing, or will you be doing these every day?

1 Like

Amen.

Because colspans/rowspans all arbitrary and HTML written row by row, this is a much more complex than imagined. Iā€™ve run out of free time to complete the above. Iā€™m now unconvinced it is worth the bother. This wonā€™t work but the template code shows the sort of hoops we have to jump through:

^action(
var vRows = $RowCount(grandparent);
var vRowList = "z;" * 4;
var vCurrentRow = 1;
var vRowItems = "";
$MyString = "";
vRowList.each(aRow){
  vRowItems = collect(find($Prototype=="pTableRowItem"&$SiblingOrder==vCurrentRow),$Path);
  vRowItems = vRowItems.sort($OutlineOrder);
  $MyString = $MyString + "<tr>\n";
  vRowItems.each(anItem){
    var vRowSpans = ' rowspan="$SubItemsMax(parent)"';
    var vColSpans = "";
    if(children){
      vColSpans = ' colspan="1"';
    }else{
      vColSpans = ' colspan="2"';
    };
    $MyString = $MyString+"<td"+vColSpans+vRowSpans+">"+exportedString($Text(anItem),"t_text")+"</td>";
    if(children){
    $MyString = $MyString+exportString(child
    }else{

};
  };
  $MyString = $MyString + "</tr>\n";

)^^value($MyString)^^action($MyString=;)^

The problem is theat you need to emit table <td> cells like this:

Header 1: Title (colspan 4)
Herader 2: Pros (colspan 2) // Cons (colspan 2)
Row 1: Pro1 (rowspan 2) // SubPro1.1 // Con 1 (colspan 2, rowspan 2)
Row 2: SubPro1.2
Row 3: Pro2 (colspan 2, rowspan 3) // Con2 (rowspan 3) // SubCon2.1
Row 4: SubCon2.2
Row 5: SubCon2.3
Row 6: Pro3 (colspan 2, rowspan 2) // Con2 (rowspan 3) // SubCon3.1
Row 7: SubCon3.2
Row 8: blank cell (colspan 2) // Con4 (colspan 4)

Calculating that from an outline is not fun!

interesting! no substantial input from myself - but this is the html we aim at (no colspan for the table body)

OK, Iā€™m confused. Isnā€™t that exactly way I listed at the end of my last post? I know how to write HTNML tableā€”been doing it since they arrived in the 1990s. The code is easy. _Making the code via outline export is hard. The point is that at time of export Pro1 doesnā€™t know how many children Con1 has and vice versa. You can nest cells without nested tables.

I recall this is why same folk dumped tables for grids of disks once CSS and browsers improved.

But, apart from a completely wasted afternoon, I wonder what we are actually usefully achieving here? :slight_smile: My hunch is that if we want tabular export we wonā€™t store our data in this sort of outline as the two donā€™t (easily) map.

I create the html before you posted your answer - so sorry if I missed the point.
There is one difference in your structure compared to my quick sample: you use rowspan and colspan for the data part - I avoided the colspans there. This is easier to generate IMHO.
Since there seems to be no direct relation between the pros and the cons I would count the number of childs for pros and cons - the larger value will give me the number of rows. Then I would iterate through the child-notes and calculate the rowspan depending on the number of childrenā€¦ something like that would give me a table like thisā€¦

1 Like

Ah, :rofl: sorry.

Iā€™m also reflecting on the way this is done so easily at source in Excel where you ā€˜justā€™ merge some, ā€¦ no w wait, what? Thatā€™s not right. Iā€™ll justā€¦ [Microsoft Office demands to do massive update NOW: Yes | Yes] So, itā€™s actually really easy to do in Excel too.

But, why faff around with tables? The image below bit feint, but hereā€™s a treemap view of the doc with ā€˜Listā€™ as the root of the view.

OK, the lines are faint be we can colour that. We can even play with the box sizes. Here each parent is dived into N equally sized children. But we could equally use a calculated value (weighting!) via a Treemap Expression. This immediately sounds way more useful that the sterility of a table.

Or, build the layout on a map perhaps with some adornments to help.

OK, neither of the latter export to HTML. But, itā€™s 2021, and in either case we can take a view image (vector data!) and place what in a web page. Retained in vector from (.e.g. SVG) we can project that image scaled onto the side of a house/bus/moon. :slight_smile:

Checks: seems we canā€™t get an image of a treemap or hyperbolic view (as opposed to a map/outline/chart/timeline). Odd. Anyway, Iā€™ve reported it as a bug/feature request.

Tables. Why? Iā€™m still not clear.

1 Like

Idea: do we really need this to be a table?

Here, after the main title Iā€™ve created two columns. Each column contains a list of arguments, each of which may contain ā€œreasonsā€.

This is much simpler to do in HTML than a table would be.

2 Likes

Wowww !!! This really opened a Pandoraā€™s box for me.

Thank you sooo much for guiding me to a million ways.

To be honest, I have just started learning these wonders of Tinderbox 2 days ago, And as any noob player does I decided to look at tutorials and got stuck on a (still my highest level). Hence posted this to the forum asking for help (need to learn EVERYTHING!!) :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I shouldā€™ve given more information, my apologies - The test was to run mind-maps. Data made here will be used and shared as documents.

Again I apologise (I promise to learn more ):stuck_out_tongue: My data will be stored in outline, exported as HTML and shared SIMPLE!!

Regardless, Thank you soo much for all the responses, and I shall study it all !!

1 Like