Not what I get on 10.14.6 with v8.9.2 - so it might be an OS thing.
It might be an OS thing. But then again it very well may not be an OS thing. I can’t see exactly in the screenshot, but it does look as if you have more than the ‘smart link’ (or whatever it’s called) selected. Your selection seems to include an extra blank character to the right.
On my machine I only see
Edit Link... in the contextual menu if the link itself is selected without any surrounding text. That may well be the same behavior on your older OS.
With an extra character selected as I think your screenshot indicates I see this:
But with just the link selected I see this here:
If I fix’ the aTbref’ link to be a Tinderbox web link then drag in another URL into $TEXT (Smart URLs enabled), the new item is —as expected—and RTF layer link.
Yes, of course. A ‘smart link’, not a native Web Link. BUT… what happens when you ‘fix’ the second link to be a native Web Link? On my machine, it’s that ‘fix’ that deactivates the first link and apparently discards the Link Destination text. The deactivation was merely an inconvenience. But the apparent loss of the Link Destination led to loss of work; I had to find a number of sources all over again.
Yes, this is easily replicated in four or five different TBX I have tried it on, including new test documents. I don’t have access to another Mac here (I’m 12,400 kilometers from home), but I created a new user account and the behavior is the same there.
This “isn’t my first rodeo,” as we sometimes say in parts of the US. I am quite confident this is an issue that can be reproduced and is worth addressing. Maybe give me the benefit of the doubt.