Customizing Note Creation Direction in Map View

Hello

I hope this message finds you well. I’ve been exploring the vast capabilities of Tinderbox, particularly the map view for organizing my notes visually. It’s been an invaluable tool for managing my projects and ideas.

I have a specific workflow preference that I’m trying to implement in Tinderbox’s map view. By default, when I press the Enter key to create a new note, it is placed to the right of the currently selected note. While this horizontal note creation is useful, my workflow would greatly benefit from altering this behavior so that new notes are created below the currently selected note, allowing for a vertical arrangement by default.

I’ve searched through the documentation and experimented with various settings, but I haven’t found a way to change the default note creation direction. I’m reaching out to see if anyone in the community has found a solution or workaround for this. Perhaps there’s a setting I’ve overlooked, or maybe a script could achieve this?

Return+[Opt]+[Ctrl]: Create new note below selected note (Map view)

Return+[Ctrl]: Create new note to left of selected note (Map view)

Return+[Ctrl]: Create note as previous sibling (Outline, Chart view)

You want the first of these. The above are documented at Reverse Look-up Map.

3 Likes

Super simple…now to just get the muscle memory in place. Thx.

I do find myself thinking where this might best be discovered. Ideally we’d find and article describing just what we want (i.e. this particular shortcut) but that scales badly—at least for the author. :frowning:

Some recent threads had me asking myself, is there shortcut for this? I could read through Individual Shortcuts, or ‘find’ in-page in aTbRef Site Map but I find the Reverse Look-up Map most tractable. Sure, it looks like a lot of text, but often we start with a notion that what we want is a modified shortcut using key X. If having inspected X and it’s modifications we can search in page.

Or scan the page, after all we like to think we all use the same descriptions for a task But we don’t—even using the same language. Depressingly, although aTbRef builds Google translate into ever page, it turns out AI is less smart then we think and ‘auto-translate’ struggles with metaphor and idiom. Bummer, but I’d note Google translate is free (to me) but must cost Google something so it seems poor to complain too loudly.

Still, as I write aTbRef to help others (though I, too, use it daily) I’m always open to achievable changes that help—IOW “please write about my personal workflow” isn’t actionable, not least as the resource is a reference and deliberately not a “how to do do my thing” trove. The latter’s unbounded and would need more monkeys at keyboards than just me alone. That aside, there are actionable ideas and to my happy surprise people do make them—and I’m always happy to hear (as I am of typos/errors).

†. Special thanks to @TomD and @PaulWalters for generously writing in assiduously to report errors and omissions. I genuinely value such help and the fact people take the time out to do something anyone could do. Keep those errors coming! Obviously, I aspire to zero errors, but am practical about that goal especially for the less travelled corners of the corpus.

1 Like