Download emails from gmail to offline for saving and interrogating with Tinderbox

Can anyone direct me to a prior discussion regarding downloading emails for archiving and searching?

I can’t comment on using Tinderbox for this, but if I were wanting to archive and search emails I would use DEVONthink. Tinderbox and DEVONthink can be made to work together pretty well – depending on what you want to do. They each have their strengths. I would say that DEVONthink is a better repository for a large amount of material, and Tinderbox is better for analysis, though others may disagree.

Edit: this thread deals with archiving Gmail using DEVONthink https://discourse.devontechnologies.com/t/archiving-emails-from-a-massive-google-takeout-in-devonthink-3/66987

1 Like

Thanks for the link, Martin. I have DEVONthink, too. I’ll play around with it.

I think the DEVONthink route (for those that have it) makes a lot of sense as, for instance one is really not likely to want all the raw email in Tinderbox but rather the body copy of the email in $Text and other parts of the message abstracted, e.g. title to $Name, added attributes for ‘to’, ‘from’, etc., addressees.

In scope for this, to enable DEVONthink → Tinderbox: