Easy way to create Aliases from search feature

I’ve started working with containers to help me organize all my notes. I’d like to find a way to create an alias of a note wherever I am and not have to navigate to the original note, manually generate the alias, copy it, and then paste it into my destination folder. In other words, I’d like to remove a lot of steps. Is this possible?

Not to get into solutioning, but I’d like to be able to follow these steps:

1. Search notes
  2. Drag the found note while holding down the option key to my container, which in turn would create an alias. Holding the option key is critical as this would create an alias rather than a new note being created as is what occurs today.

1 Like

I’d typically use an agent for this, rather than the Find bar. But it’s a sensible idea.

1 Like

Ok, thanks.

Plus one for this!

Unless I’m much mistaken, and perhaps this has been noted elsewhere, @satikusala’s suggestion is now enabled in 9.0.0, and it works beautifully. I think it’s faster than using an agent in many circumstances. (It would be nice, too, if it were possible to drag links from a text pane, browse links, or roadmap panes.)

For me the utility is in being able to ‘summon’ an alias of any note when, say, drawing a diagram in map view, from disparate elements (notes), without having to visit their containers, or set up an agent.

Yes, this appears to be the case - you can drag from the Find Results pop-up or torn-off window, to make an alias of the dragged item.

I can find no reference in Release Notes as to when such functionality was added (and thus never documented). I’ll assume it happened v9.0.0 and update aTbRef accordingly for the next release.

Aside, and to the community at large (rather than the OP above), I’ve updated the live aTbRef pages on Find Results to fix issues with the images being missing or re-sized. If people see such errors, please, please report them and don’t assume someone else has/should. Once known of, most errors I can fix near-instantly, for the benefit of the user community as a whole. If proofing seems sub-par, aTbRef is my own personal, unfunded, contribution so I do rely on the eyes of others to spot my dyslexic oversights.

3 Likes

This page in aTbRef contains what appears to be duplicated ‘on the’ in the third line of that page.

Thanks. You are correct … and now fixed.

Yes, I believe it was this post that had this functionality added to 9.0