Exporting to Fountain

I saw a discussion on the fountain format somewhere on this forum, but I’ve been unable to find it again. I wanted to find out how things are looking with respect to adding fountain as one of the export formats. More information here: https://www.fountain.io/

Fountain is a simple markup syntax for writing, editing and sharing screenplays in plain, human-readable text. Fountain allows you to work on your screenplay anywhere, on any computer or tablet, using any software that edits text files.

Can you explain what it is you want to do? Do you want t TBX to be able to preview text written in the Fountain syntax, or do you want to be able to Write in the Fountain syntax and then export it with the Fountain syntax? The latter is extremely easy, you would simply use a template that included ^value($Text)^. You could add titles, children, etc. It all depends on what you want. The former is doable as well, we’d just need to write some Fountain to HTML translation action code.

1 Like

If we could do both that would be fantastic!

Can you email me some sample text written in Fountain. I’ll take a look.

1 Like

Fountain is a Markdown-inspired markup language for screenplays.

From a quick reading of the documentation, export from Tinderbox to Fountain should be straightforward. Import from Fountain to Tinderbox is also easy for the simplest case, since Fountain is just text. You could use Explode… to split a screenplay into notes describing individual scenes.

There might be hidden obstacles, and there are doubtless things that might be nice to have. But I don’t think you’ll find this an insuperable challenge.

1 Like

Lemme first try what @eastgate suggests. That might reduce the task to only the issue around the HTML preview.

Yes, the explode method will certainly help you get the material into TBX, NP. However, without a template plain text template, you’ll get HTML out of Tinderbox, not Fountain. Also, we’ll want to create either a Fountain translator and/or a corresponding CSS file if you want to preview the Fountain text in TBX. Enjoy.