Feature Request: Remember Last Read Position within Notes

Hello everyone,

While using the Map View, I often read content within the note editor on the right. The issue I’ve encountered is that when I read a note (let’s call it Note A) to a certain point (for instance, 30% down), then switch to another note (Note B) and then return to Note A, the editor does not remember my last reading position at 30%. This results in having to repeatedly scroll to relocate my previous reading position.

This constant scrolling can be quite cumbersome. If the editor could remember the last reading position, there would be no need for redundant repositioning. I’ve noticed that other software, like Obsidian, has a feature that remembers the last read position.

A potential solution I envision is for Tinderbox to record the reading progress of the current note when switching, and then automatically scroll to this position when returning to the note.

I believe this feature would be beneficial for many Tinderbox users and could enhance our efficiency when using the software.

Thank you!

We used to do this, and people disliked it.

In my endeavor to pen a book utilizing Tinderbox, I’ve contemplated various compelling reasons to justify my request. However, the most salient one materializes when the prose of my composition extends beyond a certain threshold - let’s say 3000 words - and the editor’s window remains unduly narrow. In these instances, I find myself ensnared in a ceaseless cycle of scrolling to reestablish my position in the manuscript.

1. Enhances efficiency and productivity: Remembering the reading or writing position can save users a significant amount of time, which would otherwise be spent on scrolling and locating the previous reading or writing position.
  2. Improves user experience: Automatically navigating to the previous reading or writing position can decrease the complexity and difficulty of using Tinderbox.
  3. Reduces context switching costs: In large projects or extensive notes, users might need to frequently switch between different notes. Remembering the location can reduce the cognitive and visual load of each switch.
  4. Adapts to long notes and writing: For notes containing thousands of words, repositioning to the previous spot every time can be tedious. Remembering the position can address this issue.
  5. Supports deep reading and writing: Remembering the position can enable users to focus better on their reading and writing, rather than being interrupted by the task of finding the position.
  6. Aligns with the behavior of other software: Many popular editors and readers (such as Obsidian, Kindle, etc.) have the feature to remember the reading position. Users might expect similar behavior from Tinderbox.
  7. Personalizes the experience: Remembering the position can offer a personalized experience, as each user’s position is based on their individual reading or writing history.
  8. Opens up new ways of using the software: Remembering the position could encourage users to use Tinderbox in new and more effective ways, such as switching between notes more frequently.
1 Like

Perhaps could be re-incorporated in an $Attribute toggle, per @eastgate’s already voluminous feature implementation list undoubtedly.

I could certainly use this too, fwiw.

An idiomatic alternative might be to divide your note into smaller notes. Half a short story makes a pretty long note!

2 Likes

Yes! This has been my approach. I find it extremely effective, not just for the reading each but for “chunckng” and “organizing” my thinking. The key is to have a robust template to help with the output. I’ve also created several stamps to help consolidate “chunks” into a single “draft note” when desired.

“Part B” to the concept of breaking down notes into smaller chunks is the “text for multiple selections” or “concatenated notes” feature, which is there for us to bring the chunks back together into a longer view of the text.

(Concatenated note view is not currently editable, but will be in a future release.)

1 Like

Yes, this is good for viewing and editing, but not for output. There is an additional layer of learning to construct a template that will pull your notes back together.

Don’t be too quick to judge! Select-copy-paste can be your friend.

Remember: not all writers are you. I was in a seminar today with a bunch of writers who spent 1-5 years before they were ready for serious export. So, the slight clunkiness of select-copy-paste isn’t so bad if you do it every year or five.

1 Like

Oh, Yes!!! Your absolutely right! I was primarily referring to template use and other automated output.