Help with Devonthink Watched Group

I need help setting up a watched group in TB.

The result I’m getting is that notes are created in TB. Then the title of the notes are crossed through and more notes are generated. The process appears to be stuck in an endless loop.

Setup

I have a group in DT with one note inside. The note is plain text.
In a new TB file I created a root container there is nothing else is in the TB file.
Added the attribute Watched>DEVONthinkgroup.
Copied the item link of the group.
Added the copied item link as the value for the attribute DEVONthinkgroup
Hit return.

Gradually pairs of notes “Devonthink Note” appear and the title is struck through, whereupon two more notes appear.

Clearly I don’t understand how to apply this process and would appreciate any guidance on how to get this working.

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same behavior. Not sure why, I’ve set up watched groups before. Just not recently.

The “Watch DEVONthink” feature has been broken for quite a while. I reported this a few times, but I haven’t seen any indication of whether the problem lies with Tinderbox or DEVONthink, or when it will be fixed, if ever.

I’m on the case, but also spread a little bit too thin.

Ach, I thought I was going mad, adding a useless ‘me too’ here.

And excited as I was for the meetup this weekend with Eric Boehnisch-Volkmann, I am sadly booked for a holographic Sakamoto concert at the same time. You can feel my pain!

1 Like

Like Marmite, I’m hoping @eastgate simply improves by being spread thinner.

To this end - and whensoever this feature is operational again - could I beg to ask if custom metadata be imported with DT items? For now I’m dragging and dropping, and have custom metadata for StartDate and EndDate of notes I’m hoping to magically patch into a timeline. It would be fantastic if these carried over - I realise that custom metadata is a feature added in the last big DT update, so it may not have existed when the original DT to TB import code was implemented.

(ducks and runs)

2 Likes

FWIW, I have a lot of recent experience with this because I’ve been working on extracting DEVONthink custom meta data from a DEVONthink database record with scripting for several weeks – the task is a bear with scripting. Seems simple on the surface. Is not.

Your better bet with DEVONthink is to create a DEVONthink annotation template for a note that uses %placeholders% to capture meta data and custom meta data for any given DEVONthink record, and then drag that annotation into Tinderbox.

4 Likes

Thanks Paul - this puts my data glands into a place where I have a new Source of Truth though, and demands I update the export file (which lives complexly in DT alongside the documents it documents) and strikes me as flying in the face of exploratory data that Tinderbox excels at.

I hope I don’t sound unappreciative of your take - rather that it increases the TB-foundational argument to demand @eastgate’s Marmitised attention