How to return the focus to the search box without using the mouse

I am a new Tinderbox user, who finds the software stimulating, but, in this initial phase of exploration, somewhat complex.

In map view, I know that the command Command+F shows the search box, but if I press command + F later, after I’ve done the initial search, instead of the search box gaining focus to allow me to type another query, what happens is that it hides it.

Is there a way to put the focus in the search box without having to use the mouse?

If you do a Find a Find Results pop-up opens. Then:

• if you close it using the Escape key, the Find box is re-selected and the existing match string is selected so you can type a new string.
  • if you scroll the find results list, using the arrow key, if the select list item is in scope of the current view (e.g. on the current map) it is automatically selected.
    • if you press Return, the dialog closes maintaining current selection focus
    • if you press Escape, the dialog closes maintaining current selection focus
  • if you scroll the find results list, using the arrow key, and the selected list item is not in scope of the current view (e.g. on the current map) you can double-click to select that item and close the find results.

On closing the results with the Escape key, focus returns to the main view to allow blind-typing keyboard-based selection of another note.

So in summary, ‘No’ it appears you can’t set focus via keystroke from view pane to an already open find bar.

Further solutions, if focus is stuck back in the view, just press Cmd+F twice and focus is set correctly.

Also if focus is on the result pop-up, the Tab key toggles focus between the list of results and the copy of the search box on the pop-up. IOW, if you want to do a different search. Don’t close the pop-up but tab to the search box.

Thanks for the reply.

My main problem: I’m in the map view, I want to make a search without using the mouse and the search box is already visible. In most applications (Bear, Sublime Text Editor, BBEdit and many others), pressing CMD + F brings the focus to the search box so you can start typing your new search. It does not seem possible with Tinderbox. Are you forced to use the mouse?

I’ve explained in some detail above, but the TL;DR is to use Cmd+F twice and you’ll be back where you want.

As you see, CMD+F hides the search box when it is already visible, instead of it gaining the focus

OK, I understand. Thanks.

1 Like

I’m not saying it’s ideal but it works, now! Any fix is down the line. :slight_smile: