How to set TBX up to use Markdown?

Forgive me if this is obvious, but as a new Tinderbox user, I can’t figure out what I need to do to be able to write in Markdown within Tinderbox. Searching this forum and online, I can’t find much useful information. Do I need to install or create a prototype or configure TBX in some other way?

4 Likes

The simplest approach is to add the Markdown prototype to a document, and use it. See File > Built-In Prototypes.

Here’s an example.

Markdown Sample.tbx (78.2 KB)

3 Likes

Thank you! Very helpful.

After using the built-in Markdown prototype, TB is generating Markdown Previews for me, but not handling the Markdown the way it should, e.g., it displays headings as ordered lists, and is not displaying my unordered lists as bullets, nor is it handling nested lists properly (e.g., second level list items are preceded by <block quote> and displayed as code).

Not sure what I’m doing wrong?

Please post a sample file.

Markdown display problems.tbx (76.0 KB)

Here’s the file, fixed. When using $HMTLPreviewCommand it is necessary that $HTMLMarkupText == false. If we use the built-in Markdown prototype as the starting point as suggested above, and then revising it as needed, we do not get the error.

Markdown display problems_revised.tbx (92.9 KB)

4 Likes

Excellent. Thank you so much.

1 Like

Thank you @PaulWalters

1 Like

Hello - thanks for these tips.

It works perfectly well when I use the sample file provided by Paul, but I can’t get it to work in my file. I can use the markdown prototype without problem, but somehow I am missing the menu at the top with the options “Text / Preview / HTML”. The HTMLPreviewCommand “’/Applications/Tinderbox 8.app/Contents/Resources/Markdown/Markdown.pl’” is the same.

Any idea what the problem may be?

Thanks

Window > Show Text Pane Selector

(Conversely to hide the buttons once they are visible use Window > Hide Text Pane Selector. The command is an on/off toggle.)

Great thanks - that worked.