Link to section in web page not working for me

I’d like to include a link to a section of an RFC in a note. The URI of the section is RFC 7231 - Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Semantics and Content. I copied it from my browser (Safari), pasted it into the note, highlighted it and used the Note->Make Web Link… menu item. All appears well (see screenshot) until I try to open the link from the note, at which point the ‘#’ character is being transposed into ‘%23’ and the request fails with a 404 error. Links without the ‘#’ character work fine.

Any suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks

I can replicate this. It is an internal glitch the use can’t work around that the moment. The problem is unintentionally over-agressive urlencoding.

Of vcourse if you have a URL wish a hash symbol in the path that isn’t an anchor marker then # to %23 is correct. The software doesn’t have the human mind’s extra context to know which use is intended.

One workaround for now (as at v9.2.1) is to add $URL as a Displayed Attributes for the note and paste the URL in there. Then, clicking the globe widget opens the page and without the false re-encoding of the hash sign.

That’s understandable, but annoying; I’d have expected the contents of the URL field in the Link dialogue to be read literally, or at least to allow potentially semantically ambiguous characters to be escaped.

1 Like

But that’s the problem, as I’ve pointed out some characters are ambiguous in ways not immediately apparent. I’m sure this isn’t a deliberate error. It’s not clear if this arose because of Tinderbox adopting RTF smart URLs as Tinderbox web links or something else. But this is a user-to-user forum and this issue is occurring inside the app. If you need to elevate this you need to contact tech support directly tinderbox@eastgate.com.

Noted. Workarounds are easy, of course.