Tinderbox Forum

Linking error. in A Tinderbox Reference File

Linking error.
Dear Doctor Mark Anderson,
This link generate an error, [2021/06/28 14:28:50]
What’s new in v9 > New to version 9 > [https://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref9/index/index/ChangeLog/v900b52327Jun2021.html]
Not Found
The requested URL was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

See change log for v9.0.0 baseline.
https://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref9/index/Newtoversion9.html

From this URL : no problem.
Related to v9.0.0b523 (27 Jun 2021)
Change Log > Versions since v9.0.0:
• v9.0.0b523 (27 Jun 2021)
Change Log
Thx and regards, WAKAMATSU

Thanks you for your kind report. It turns out there is a (new) issue affecting HTML export as a whole, so there are a large number of aTbRef9 links that don’t work at present. A fix is in the pipeline, but will likely take a few days.

I’ll post on the forum when this link exporting issue is fixed, at which point do start reporting broken links again. I really do like to hear about errors , so I can fix them. :slight_smile:

Dear Doctor Mark Anderson,
I will turn in 2 error report.
https://www.acrobatfaq.com/atbref9/index/AgentQueries/DateComparisons-DatevsDa.html
The requested URL was not found on this server.
01: All Tinderbox Date-type data includes a time component in hours and minutes (no seconds or smaller). The time can be a confusing factor when comparing dates as often in the mind of the user whole days are being compared. Also, when using date designators, like “today” or “tomorrow + 1 month”, the Date object created takes the OS’ current clock time.

02 : Setting the time element of a date is discussed in more detail here.
This [more detail here ] linking is Not Found !!
The requested URL was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Respectfully yours, WAKAMATSU

#01, #02. Yes, these are the same issue as alreadt. As I explained, a new bug has been found in v9.0.0 which is creating these broken links. The issue is reported, has been identified and a fix is being worked on. As the broken links are created by the app during HTML export, until the app is fixed I can’t repair these broken links. Once the app is fixed, I will re-export and upload the whole of aTbRef9 again.

Until then, you will continue to see broken links in the current aTbRef9. For articles that are about existing features, in your web browser’s location bar (showing the current page’s URL) change the ‘atbref9’ in the URL to ‘atbref8’ and refresh and you should open the same page in aTbRef v8 with working links. That’s the best I can do for now! :slight_smile:

Dear Dr. Mark Anderson,
I produce a report about No link-up lists.
Please quod vide png files.
Yours cordially, WAKAMATSU


Thank you. I think you misunderstood my last. Please stop reporting these for now. The problem is a bug in v9.0.0 HTML ex[port. In fact, I think all non-hierarchical links in aTbRef are broken right now. A fix for Tinderbox is underway, but until I have that I can’t fix the above.

So, the links will remain broken until the HTML export process is fixed. Looking at my rather busy dairy, I’d envisaged that might be next week (5 July) at the earliest.

I will, of course, post in the forum when a fixed reference is uploaded. But until then, no further boroken link reports are needed. :slight_smile:

Sorry about the interruption to normal service!

Dear Dr. Mark Anderson,
I apologize what due to a misunderstanding on my part.
Please take good care of yourself.
Yours cordially, WAKAMATSU

1 Like

No apology needed. :slight_smile:

After all, I did ask people to report errors. I just didn’t expect the link export problem that emerged.

Nonetheless, thank you for taking time to make the reports (the detail you gave is most useful). If nothing else it tells me people are using aTbRef9!