Markdown - Footnotes - MultiMarkdown

Andreas,

Where do you get the multimarkdown script from please?

I have Scrivener and MultiMarkdown Composer and Marked 2, all of which work fine for MultiMarkdown, but I don’t actually know where the underlying command/script is, so what is it exactly that I have to point to in $PreviewCommand please?

Thanks!

If you have Multimarkdown installed or have been using other Markdown editors, you’re like to find scripts here

/usr/local/bin

with names such as

markdown
mm2gv
mmd
mmd2all
mmd2odf
mmd2opml
mmd2pdf
mmd2rtf
mmd2tex
multimarkdown

BTW, scripts do not have do be markdown parsers. You can use LaTex or similar parsers. I’m not sure pandoc would work, but you can try it too.

Thanks for the reply Paul.

There’s actually nothing relevant in /usr/local/bin, but in the end I went diving into the gnarly depths of the Scrivener app.

For anybody else in this position (i.e. you want to use multimarkdown not markdown) the following works if you’ve got Scrivener installed: change the value of $HTMLPreviewCommand in the Markdown template to point to /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/Resources/MultiMarkdown/bin/multimarkdown.

$HTMLPreviewCommand='/Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/Resources/MultiMarkdown/bin/multimarkdown.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks @PaulWalters.

Using markdown.pl and multimarkdown.pl is self- explanatory in this context.

But could you kindly explain what Preview-Output one is supposed to get once using mmd2RTF.pl

Because all I get seems to be “gibberish”.

Well, that “gibberish” is raw RTF code – as the parser’s name implies, it converts “multi-markdown to RTF”. So you get

{\rtf1\ansi\deff0 {\fonttbl {\f0\froman Times New Roman;} {\f1\fswiss Arial;} {\f2\fmodern Courier New;} } {\stylesheet {\s0 \qj\sa180\f0\fs24 Normal;}

I should have been explicit:

1. The scripts are not necessarily useful, they just happen to be what various programs including Multimarkdown install.
  2. They are not installed by macOS.
  3. The names say what the scripts do – experiment and see which ones work. YMMV
  4. If you use the built in “Markdown” prototype that Mark included in Tinderbox you’ll get $HTMLPreviewCommand pointing at

'/Applications/Tinderbox 7.app/Contents/Resources/Markdown/Markdown.pl'

Pandoc works! Some examples are the following:

MediaWiki to HTML:

/usr/local/bin/pandoc -f mediawiki -t html

LaTeX to HTML:

/usr/local/bin/pandoc -f latex -t html

Thank you very much, Paul, for the Pandoc suggestion and of course Mark Bernstein for implementing such an impressive feature!

3 Likes

@johnsidi could you give an example of some mediawiki/latex/markdown notes in Tinderbox that you successfully converted to html using pandoc in $HTMLPreviewCommand?

Or did you even get pandoc to work displaying those mediawiki/latex/markdown notes within Tinderbox in Preview-Mode?

Thanks in advance

Meanwhile, I can happily report back that it, indeed, just works as described by @johnsidi here.

Thank you, John, and thank you @eastgate! This is HUGE!

1 Like

In the following screenshots you can see how Pandoc converts expressions written in MediaWiki and LaTex to HTML which you can preview instantaneously on the Preview pane of Tinderbox. Generally, it works really well. Only some Latex symbols and equations cannot be converted by Pandoc.

As a result, for the first time I can write, preview and store my notes written in multiple markup languages using only one program, the amazing Tinderbox! I have never expected this to be a reality! :slight_smile:

• MediaWiki

• LaTeX markup

• Multimarkdown (using /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/Resources/MultiMarkdown/bin/multimarkdown)

For rendering mathematical expressions in Multimarkdown you just need to add the following line at the beginning of a note and be connected on the internet.

If you want to see clearly all the examples please click on the images or download them because the images are very tall.

5 Likes

Thanks for this @johnsidi, very useful.
The multi markdown preview works wonders with me, except for the maths part. I’ve added the script call to MathJax at the beginning of the note but it doesn’t seem effective as the Math at the end is rendered as plain text.
Is there a toggle in TinderBox to activate scripting calls?

SOLVED
It seems the MathJax repository you were using has been deactivated. Following the recommendations on the MathJax website I used this line, which works for me:

How does one install MultiMarkdown on mac OSX? I kindly ask for your help.

I used to have everything set-up. But after a clean mac OSX install everything is gone.

So I installed MacTex lite, pandoc, MultiMarkdown-Composter … but nothing shows up in /usr/local/bin/ except pandoc and pandoc-citeproc … but nothing PaulWalters was pointing at in this post by @PaulWalters

on my entire machine I don’t find anything like that:

markdown
mm2gv
mmd
mmd2all
mmd2odf
mmd2opml
mmd2pdf
mmd2rtf
mmd2tex
multimarkdown

Meanwhile I figured out where to find sort of an “multimarkdown.pl” although, of course, it is not an .pl, exactly.

'/Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/Resources/MultiMarkdown/bin/multimarkdown'

These things are hard to come by these days.

Still looking for a resource that explains well how to install MultiMarkdown and having it system-wide available. Or am I just completely mistaken?

@johnsidi Can use pandoc to convert markdown html (in order to preview the markdown written text within Tinderbox’ Preview) or is one supposed to use a dedicated multimarkdown-converter like the one you chose from Scrivener?

Get MultiMarkdown here.

(Google is a wonderful invention :sunglasses:)

You’re so right, again, @PaulWalters. I googled down the rapid hole … searching for this

Thank you for being so patient.

Thank you for the tips. Has anyone tried to get Tinderbox to work with the Textbundle format?

We’d support text bundle if there’s actual need.

Hi! That would be great!

The recent release of the most recent version of the app Highlights (2.0) is amazing to annotate pdfs (https://highlightsapp.net), especially if used with Bookends. In a nutshell, what is unique about this software is that it creates a multimarkdown sidecar file containing all highlighted passages, and makes active internal hyperlinks to the references at the end of the scientific article (you can customized what type of highlights will do each task, say yellow highlights for text, and red underline for references). These references are in turn themselves automatically linked to the original bookends files (if present) or the relevant PubMed website (if not in your Bookends database). While there are still a few kinks to iron out, it is truly an amazing software for this specific task.

The reason why textbundle is relevant is that it is also possible for Highlights users to include in-line images in the annotated file… but the mmd file becomes a textbundle (since it can handle images and text at once).

How does this all work? After adding a Bookends ref file to TB using the nice reference prototype, one can then add the related Highlights sidecar file to TB thereby allowing one to easily import a detailed set of annotations containing active links (the multimarkdown prototypes provides the best results).

Right now, I can do the same with the textbundle files generated by Highlights using “show package content” and importing the md file it contains… but it would be great to have native support for textbundle.

2 Likes

Dear Colleagues, maybe some of you have encountered this problem and can help.
When I paste /Applications/Scrivener.app/Contents/Resources/MultiMarkdown/bin/multimarkdown in $HTMLPrewiewCommand (I checked it is really in this folder) I get the following error in preview:

If I paste /usr/local/bin/mmd then some of the syntax doesn’t work (formulas in LaTeX and CriticMarkup). Can you tell me how to get it to work. I am probably doing something wrong.