Note-to-note links for Adornments

I was trying to achieve some mind mapping like effect using the Adornments: and different types of links.

The Title notes keep on moving around as I add more notes into the adornment. It would have been nice if the adornment itself can directly be linked with other notes.

Or, anything I am missing?

Are these smart adornments? Do you have rules that move notes? Is this map inside an agent?

Other than those situations ā€“ where you have told Tinderbox to move things ā€“ Tinderbox never moves your notes.

Of course TB doesnā€™t move my notes from other places.

You see the ponents note in the snapshot, for example. That is not an actual note: I am using it as the title of the Adornment because I want the visual link [branch] from the marked by /a/ note to branch to the Adornment containing it. When I add more notes into the adornment, the ponent note moves around leaving places.

I was then wondering why cannot I directly link the Adornments like any other note. I donā€™t need the ponent Title note in that case. I would use the Title of the Adornment instead.

These are not smart adornments, by the way. There is no agent either.

What is causing the note named ponents to change position?

The ponent note moves when I am expanding the adornment to add more notes.

And, what are these arrows which sometimes block me when I am trying to expand the adornment?

The arrows appear to be link anchor pads, which allow you to drag links to a specific edge of the source or destination note. Notice how youā€™re click is very close to both a resize box of an adornment and to the link; Tinderbox thinks you want to drag the link.

I donā€™t know why expanding the adornment would move a note on that adornment, unless ā€“ and I expect this is your problem ā€“ the adornment is sticky. When the adornment is selected, youā€™ll see a pushpin icon near its upper right corner. Itā€™s normally gray, meaning the adornment is not sticky. If itā€™s clicked, the adornment becomes sticky and moving it, or changing its size, moves notes atop the adornment as if the adornment were sticky.

1 Like

Wonderful. I didnā€™t know this feature. I was going all the way around the get info rout to change the entry or exit positions.

Does anyone know if I can link normal notes to Picture Adornments?

Adornments are a map-only background feature that cannot be linked.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out, Mark.

Would you happen to know how Beck Tench (in the Tutorial videos) have managed to create notes that only shows image and title text?

You can add pictures to the text of notes, which will fill the note appearance on a map. And then you can link to that note ā€“ because it is a ā€œrealā€ note.

hereā€™s the Text of that note

1 Like

Wow, this forum works fast :smile:

What I canā€™t seem to do is get a clean image without the top borders of the note - and the images I drop on to the note gets really small, regardless of original size.

Itā€™s hard to visualize errors without an example. Can you create a small sample file of what youā€™re trying to do ā€“ no personal or private data please ā€“ and drag it into a reply here so others can take a look?

Thank you, but from that image I donā€™t see a problem. Is there a Tinderbox file you can post?

This is what I am trying to achieve:

I tried to upload Tinderbox file but itā€™s 5,4 MB (max is 4 MB)

My two upper images are Picture Adornments and Iā€™m trying to get the image-only versions I posted above.

Someone on Twitter asked a similar question today and I made a quick video that shows how Iā€™m getting the images from my iPad to TBX. In it, youā€™ll see what I do to remove the border, shadow, and title (though I imagine thereā€™s a way to do this 1) all at once; and 2) retaining the title data without showing it).

1 Like

Very nice explanation, thank you @beck

The feature Beck is using in GoodNotes 5 to copy from the iPad then paste on the Mac, is the Universal Clipboard, which is one of the Continuity services that require recent versions of iOS and macOS as well as network settings described on the Apple sites at the links.

Another way to get images into Tinderbox is Continuity Camera, which is supported in Tinderbox if you control-click the background of the text area of a note and choose ā€œTake Photoā€ or ā€œScan Documentsā€ ā€“ but only when Continuity Camera is active. For me, Continuity Camera is very buggy and temperamental, but when it works it is a good choice for quickly adding scanned pages to notes in Tinderbox and other apps.

1 Like

Voila! I made it. Thanks for the video, @beck :smile:

The first time I dropped the image onto the note in the map but after dropping it in to the ā€˜text-windowā€™? (on the right side) the note didnā€™t have the brown text field on top. Also, the Inspector gives lots of nice options.

Thanks to @mwra and @PaulWalters for helping! I feel very welcome in here.

Although part of a single task from the userā€™s perspective, there seem to be two separate tasks/issues here. One is moving image from an iOS device to a Mac, which lies without the bailiwick of Tinderbox. The second is inserting an image into $text of a note.

I donā€™t think the process is buggy, but rather the userā€™s assumptions may sometimes be misplaced. There are two obvious points of failure:

• Mis-declared clipboard data/drag payload. We tend to assume ā€œitā€™s just a pictureā€ but under the hood apps take a certain degree of info on trust. If the giving and receiving apps donā€™t have the same understanding as to the type/range of data that constitutes a picture, the inter-app image placement my fail. Such an outcome isnā€™t a true bug, but rather an unexpected outcome. Both apps may even be correct in working to their own understanding as to data formats. For those affected it is worth contacting the makers of both apps to diagnose the disconnect. Thatā€™s not to labour the point but inter-app data ā€˜bugsā€™ are a constant mis-diagnosis here.
  • Incorrect drop target. Again, different apps function differently. Until proven true, it is not generally a safe assumption that the UI element under the drop position is the receiving element. Thus it is possible to drop an image unwittingly onto an element that cannot handle such data. For instance, Iā€™ve noticed that switching focus into Tinderbox from another apps seems to cause focus to revert to the view pane regardless of where in-app focus lay when Tinderbox lost app focus.
    TL;DR. Test your assumptions. :wink: I write that with the humility of one whose had to go away and do so.

Sort of, or at least in terms of note styling, by using prototypes. note that some attributes like $Width are intrinsic so cannot be inherited. Primarily, you want to set $Border to 0 (zero) and $Shadow to false. I donā€™t believe it is possible to make the noteā€™s title invisible, but iā€™m happy to be corrected.

Re pictures in notes, currently if an image is the first element in $Text (i.e. no characters before it) then the map image used as the fill of the noteā€™s map icon. This may be affected by the setting of $MapBodyTextSize. The image cannot be re-sized once dropped into text but the map view icon will scale the image when the map icon is re-sized (but with certain upper/lower limits that are not known/documented). In the light of the latter itā€™s better to achieve some consistency of size/format of image before adding them to the note. Also, the added image becomes part of the TBX document so pulling in enormous images just to show them as a tiny email may be counter-productive.

1 Like