Pairing Tinderbox with analog notes

When you work with TBX do you ever pair it with paper note-systems, or is the philosophy here to keep everything in one place?

I love paper note-taking, the journaling of my ideas, and thinking things out in a permanent record that dosnt need to be plugged in. Im sure some people here combine a paper/analogue system with their TBX systems so I thought Id ask what works best?

Currently Id imagine that paper may be the final destination for the work I do in TBX.

I use paper notebooks for all notes on books. Usually using a lovely Tomoe River notebook and fountain pen – TWSBi is a favorite – intentionally being as analog as possible. My reading notes evolve. I read books and make extensive marginal notes in the book. Then I rewrite those notes into the Tomoe River notebook, revising my thoughts and adding follow-up research tasks for myself. Then, this second distillation is the foundation for a third reworking of the notes in Tinderbox.

This applies to books that I feel need a long process of reading and reflection. If I’m just reading something quickly for information, I’ll probably jot the notes into Tinderbox with references and skip the re-working process in the middle. Article reading goes into Readwise, and I discard 95% of that as unimportant, on second read of the notes. The reminder might go into a Tinderbox document, if relevant to the project (work or personal) at hand.

Like many, I’ve always found that the best retention and understanding of written material is via handwritten notes, enhanced by multiple passes at reviewing and rewriting the notes.

3 Likes

I do something similar - using Europa A4 notebooks (decent enough Clairefontaine paper) and a Pilot Capless pen - it’s the way I wrote all the notes for my D.Phil thesis back in the early 80’s (then laboriously typed into Wordstar). I now supplement thoughtful slower reading notes (like you, the marginalia comes first) with dictated ‘information’ notes to my iPad mini - which I also use to transfer longer notes/sections of analogue prose into Scrivener.

Tinderbox is for the many info notes and their many connections, and then another breed of notes (mini-analyses) which connect them into narratives.

1 Like

A late reply, but I love paper notes. I’ve recently switched back to all of my thinking notes (as opposed to jots) on paper. A legal pad, a fountain pen and an Adirondack chair in the shade is a joyous way to think.

That said, I also keep extensive linked notes in Tinderbox, typically transcribing my written thoughts to a series of TB notes. Sometimes I go even further and take the more important notes and transcribe those yet again on notecards that I can shuffle and rearrange. Handling the notes does something to my brain that a screen can’t quite emulate.

The combination of the physicality of a stack of papers and the linking, discovery and automation of Tinderbox is wonderful.

1 Like

With the dog napping at one’s feet, of course! :service_dog:

Handwriting removes all the friction of making links, editing, or mapping facts, quotes, and thoughts.

2 Likes

same for me Tomoe River and a fountain pen. I use TWSBi too but most of the time a Montegrappa Mia with Diamine ink (Monboddos hat) :wink:
When working with my paper notes I transfer them to TBX. Don’t use them again later.

2 Likes

Most of the time, I take notes on paper — whether it’s a piece of sheet or a notebook —, even when I read an article and have a lot to write. In this case, I like to use white Bristol card. But, the task is comparable to a long path you enjoy to take: you walk and walk and you know that the more you walk and the more the return shall be long. That’s the reason why a nice digital environment is important. If you read the language of Molière, I just wrote something about the way I use Tinderbox to transcribe my paper notes and embrace the complexity.

4 Likes

For my analog notes - I am constantly jotting/sketching, and confess to being always equipped with a fountain pen and pad - I favor Clairefontaine, Midori, and Kokuyo paper. Inks vary according to mood and season, from Diamine to Sailor to Waterman and so on.

On the redundancy of paper notes, I’m the same - once transferred to TBX, the handwritten notes serve archival and perhaps sentimental purpose.

Occasionally though it is interesting to review these notes, as some micro-characteristics may be gleaned - the mood I was in, the particular ink/pen used, whether I was writing in a moving vehicle, and so on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have a physical agenda which I think will stop using and change it for a Moleskine or Leuchtturm. I like writing things during the day there and ideas that later can be explored in tinderbox. Another use case is if I’m at work and I’m getting instructed on how to do something, because I monitor several things related to meat quality and safety I can’t have my laptop around, instead I’m down at the processing plant. In this case also I find it better to have my agenda/book to later during the day transfer anything relevant to tinderbox or Todoist.

There are other settings where carrying a laptop or phone to type makes you look unprofessional, like if you aren’t paying attention. In this cases also I have my agenda/notebook. I have seen people really appreciate when you aren’t creating physical walls with devices while talking to them. So unless there’s something I really need to bring with my laptop to this meetings I prefer to avoid it.

Sometimes I’m with my family during a trip and didn’t brought my computer, maybe we are at a coffee shop or restaurant and I want to record something, well that goes to my notebook.

3 Likes

I was intrigued that almost all the main characters in the popular streamer, The Bear, carry and intensively use notebooks. They all work in a hyper-analog world. The notebooks – many of which appear to be Leuchtturm 1917s – are another character in the story.

1 Like

I’ve really got to watch The Bear. If only I could find the time.

I love the Leuchtterm books. I have Midori paper as well, as well as several others like Crane and some handmade papers from Moravia. I will confess I often request extra pads from my favorite hotels to take home.

Paper is joyous and eternal. Tinderbox is powerful and elegant, and I’m glad to see that so many others on this forum whom I admire share a love of the two.

2 Likes