Repeat Newbie question - Note 'display' text

Is there a way to reduce the font size of a Note’s display text? I’m fairly sure ‘Display text’ is the wrong term so I’m posting this screenshot to possible help get at what I’m seeking.

I’ve tried to make TB work for me over the years, so I’m trying again. I do understand the basics of Attributes and the power of Prototypes & Agents, however, I’m stuck in knowing where to apply some changes.

In short, I would like to reduce the font size of the text that a note (in Map view) pulls into its display area when one is looking at the Note but has yet to click on it to reveal the Note’s text in the right pane.

Thank you for any help.

Hi @Realpax, welcome to the forums. Only after several attempts at Tinderbox I told to myself – “ok, I don’t master it but I can tame the beast”. And one of the difficulties is to know which string to pull, because there are many.

You need to tweak the InteriorScale map attribute: InteriorScale

EDIT: turns out this works but is a bug - when fixed, the real solution is found here: Repeat Newbie question - Note 'display' text - #5 by mwra?

1 Like

Thank you for the fast reply. It all worked as you said, which is giving me lots of hope this is the time I will get my head around TB and its bewitching potential.

2 Likes

Understand that this isn’t an answer to the question you were asking, but should you ever wish to not have this text display at all, this link shows how to do that.

Actually, to scale the note text ($Text) discretely from either the note’s title ($Name) or subtitle ($Subtitle) you should be using the attribute $MapBodyTextSize (as already noted by @bmscmoreira) except it appears to have a bug. In fact there are two (testing in v8.6.2b452):

• Altering $MapBodyTextSize increases/decreases the size of the area within the note in which all/part of $Text is drawn. It should also increate/decrease the size of the $text drawn within that space: it used to but currently doesn’t.
  • $Interior Scale is intended to scale the size of notes within a container’s viewport of its child map. It should not apply to the $Text area of of a note with no children. It appears $InteriorScale is being applied to a viewport that isn’t there.

I’ve reported the above. So, and confusingly, $InteriorScale currently works around the bug in $MapBodyTextSize, but I’d expect both to be fixed ere long.

1 Like

There are a few mis-assumptions in the description above which I’ll work through , hopefully to help you understand the process a bit better (notwithstanding the glitches above, which I’ve already reported).

The outline view, regardless of whether to choose/need to view it is the underlying stored structure of your document. A container is a map with children. A single map shows the children of a single (outline) container. If any of the children is itself a container, its map icon shows a ‘viewport. By default a note’s map icon shows just the title ($Name). Originally, this was the only text shown on the icon: subtitles and showing note $Text came later.

The note’s $Text, if displayed, as per the above, if shown regardless of the note being selected. Thus if you start from the premise that you should normally see no/little note $Text in map icons, unless you reconfigure them, the display may make a bit more sense.

Currently, if there is enough room—i.e. the map icon area is large enough, some or all of the note’s $Text is drawn. So it’s less “pulled in” but drawn if there is space, remembering that originally $Text was never drawn and indeed you can turn off if you find it distracting.

† The viewport thus show notes that are grandchildren of the current map’s container, but only those descended from a particular child. IOW, the child’s viewport show’s only its own children and not those of its siblings, which will have their own viewports as appropriate. Within the viewport map, container items do not show a further viewport. This A viewport only extends visibility (of some map features) a further level down.

Lastly, if you do get stuck, do ask here, and your fellow users will try and get you sorted out.

Mark, this is really helpful. At first I was not following you, but then I played around with some notes and see how your are guiding me.

Thank you again for the quick and deep reply.

• Don
1 Like

Thanks. I’m glad it helped.