Returning to Map view with all Notes completely out of view

OK, this is what I have. There is definitely some issue specific to your project file. In fact, it seems like a couple issues. Please try the attached file and advise if it behaves differently.

ScoreOnScore-ACRebuild-01.tbx (231.1 KB)

Re tab-switching, note that selection is saved per tab. This is discrete from what the overall view displays (i.e. which part of the map). IOW, if I select note A in the Map of a new document, select the outline tab and select note B, then re-select the map tab, the map’s selection is still ‘A’

@eastgate Gotcha. I understand that now. But just FYI, as a new user that’s used thousands of software apps/experiences over the years plus built many (not trying to brag), my initial instinct was to change views.

Might change in the future.

Sounds good! And maybe something to address “how” this got out of whack? And/or a “View/Trim View” command to clean up the view? One other suggestion: with nothing selected, currently, you can right-click and choose “Cleanup…”. It seems that should automatically do the “Trim” fix as well. (It does not).

@archurhh Yes, this worked!! I’ve rebuilt from scratch now, but how do you fix this!?!

@mwra OK, thanks!

As I believe I mentioned before, the extent of the map view always includes the origin. It also includes the bounding box of all elements in the view, and a margin of (I believe) ½ of the screen size.

Long time TBX user here. And I’ve long suffered from the problem @gregfay is describing. I just tried Mark Anderson’s trick of rightclick to get the {0,0} location on the map, then selecting and moving all of the items of the map so that the upper-right-most item of the map is near {0,0}. Then saving, closing, and reopening the problem TBX document seems to fix the map’s “migration” for that file. Thanks, Mark, and thanks gregfay for pursuing this issue.

To find the 0,0 spot, can you just make a note and assign xpos and ypos to 0 ?

Yes. Code:

$Xpos = 0;
$Ypos = 0;

If applied the top left corner of the note (if default rectangular shape) will be a {0,0} map co-ordinates. The map background right-click is more use if trying to work out where you currently are on the map.

I think the ‘size’ of the map is a red-herring. This issue seems to be that in some circumstances BX refuses to save/honour the current map position (i.e. what’s currently in the view pane).

I’m unclear as to why a map with all it’s notes grouped some distance from {0,0} (i.e. no scattered around) would usefully be re-opened (doc open/close or tab view-type changed) to include {0,0} but no notes. TBH, the X/Y location is rarely needs as the map is essentially infinite and you put thinks where they need to be -relative to one another. So apart from first use of a new doc’s map, starting at {0,0} doesn’t offer any benefit.

FWIW, I do wonder if this is an edge case affecting a root-level map. The XML of the specimen test doc offered did show a scroll position (scrollX and scrollY tab tag attributes in XML) but Tinderbox does seem to save changes to them when the doc is saved.

This issue is slightly different.

When you change a tab to a new view, Tinderbox sets up parameters for that view. That view gets to use things like “scroll position” as it chooses. Changing the view type is, in its way, a big deal.

We can’t just remember “this is my scroll position for the map, and that is my scroll position for the outline”, because you might have many map views, rooted at different containers. Sure, we could keep track of every possibility, but that’s messy and uses lots of memory and disk space.

If you want to switch back and forth between a map view and an outline view, set up two tabs.

1 Like

Interesting. I have been somewhat plagued by Map views disappearing over the horizon, and have been scrolling here and there to find things. I have been changing views using ⌘⌥-O and M, and it didn’t occur to me to have them as separate tabs. Will try using Tabs for the different views …
It would make sense, in my limited understanding, to have a command to simply centre the view on a ‘middle’ note for those occasions where the view has gone astray. Perhaps, knowing Tinderbox, there already is one and I dont know about it. ! Many thanks, Thomas

I’ve just added a new thread explaining a bit about what the ‘centre’ {0,0} of any map is an how it is arbitrary. See here.

1 Like

It would make sense, in my limited understanding, to have a command to simply centre the view on a ‘middle’ note for those occasions where the view has gone astray.

This sort of exists with the Toggle zoomed map view shortcut: [Cmd]+[Opt]+[Ctrl].

It should zoom out the map to display all the notes. And my understanding from experimentation is that if you hover over a note, it’ll be in the center of the map once you release the shortcut.

Thanks, thats a very clear explanation! I have used the [Cmd]+[Opt]+[Ctrl] and somehow felt the positioning was less straightforward - but yes, it brings the hovered over note to the centre. Lovely. !