The final explanation so we all understand on relationship MapScrollX, MapScrollY, Xpos, Ypos

I am using Tinderbox again after I gave up a while ago due to not understanding how in reality the relationship between MapScrollX, MapScrollY, Xpos, Ypos actually works. I did read all the articles and tried playing around with manipulating the attributes, but I still do not understand the logic.

Does somebody has a working practice that gives a consistent placement of Adornments, Containers and Notes when going up and down levels via clicking in Container (to go level deeper) and use breadcrumbs to go level up.

For example, a container has for MapScrollX and MapScrollY a value of 4. When I click on the container and immediately go level up via breadcrumb, the MapScrollY value changes to 3.96875. Then I do the same again, the MapScrollY value changes to 4.703125. The MapScrollX value remains unchanged. Why?

May I also request to create a video on specifically this topic where we see the values of attributes changing in the different use cases.

Thanks for your help.

Actually, I don’t think the issue relates to the attributes described. I think, and @eatgate can correct me, when moving up (i.e. from child map to parent container’s map) you return to the x,y position on the parent map that is the same as the x,y position on the map you last met. In most cases you actually expect to go to the x,y location you were at when you entered the map so this can confuse.

I should add, that the latter point only makes full sense if you are only operating in map view. If you are swapping view types, you may not—in the current session—have ever been on the parent map, so to where should you return.

I’ll admit, i’ve never found a simple explanation for why you end up where you do when navigating ‘up’ in maps.

$Xpos & $Ypos simply tell you where a note lies on a given map. They are intrinsic attributes, i.e. not shared by an original and aliases both might need to be in different positions on the same or different map.

$MapScrollX & $MapScrollY simply dictate what part of the child map is displayed in a container’s viewport.

Of tangential use might be my notes on map vs outline view UIs.

Thanks Mark, pfoooh, glad you also do not get the logic, so no need to get upset with myself concerning my lack of logical insight :slight_smile:
You are right, it seems moving in the child map does influence the return position in the parent map.
Did test, but not sure about the exact logic, hope @eastgate can explain.

I created a rule in the container with:
$MapScrollX=4;
$MapScrollY=4;

That seems to work, or do I overlook something.

Best, Paul

1 Like