Time line with minutes without dates

I can generate a time line based on date.

I would like to generate a timeline based on minutes and not on dates.
I generated a user tag called time.

I can then add a specified time per note.
Then I would like to generate a timeline for the notes connected via arrows on the map as a time line.

Is there a way to do it?

Timelines normally plot $StartDate (and optionally $EndDate). Either/both of these can be substituted for other attributes, but they can only be of the Date data type.

Date attributes can be set to particular minute. However I’m not sure if the timeline view was designed to work at the granularity. Simple to try though - if you can’t set a narrow enough time spread you may be unable to use the view in the way you desire.

In this experiment, I’ve set the timeline range to 1 hour:

Note that you can’t zoom in any further.

Plus, you can’t use a custom timeline. In other words you must use the normal calendar for the 'number line. So, no fantasy calendars, ad-hoc number sequences, etc.

But by all means email support with a feature request, making sure to explain clearly what new features you need.

Thanks a lot for the fast reply and the example. I will think about how to best formulate a feature request, I am most likely trying to do a task, Tinderbox is not made for.

Basically, when one looks at a procedure and you know all the steps, you can nicely show them in Tinderbox. I like this part.

The part that can not be easily done in Tinderbox:
Then when one want to optimise the procedures based on time, you would like to know how long each step takes and what the total time looks like.
In the next step one would like to try out to modify individual steps, reduce the time and then see the total time again.
If this procedure is a step of a complex procedure consisting of the same procedure over and over again, then one would like to see the overall impact.

In case nobody needs this within Tinderbox, then there is no point in implementing it.

Thanks. I think you could probably do this a slightly different way in Map view. If the $Width of each note was a (ratio of its) duration, you could use action code to set each note’s $Xpos to the preceding task’s $Pos plus its $Width. The bar as a whole gives toy the overall duration of the process. Or you could still set $Width to duration but arranged with the items left-aligned in a vertical line giving a horizontal bar chart to make the long processes stand out. You could use different colour for different bands of duration or use a factor like opacity altered by each note’s duration. None of these is a timeline but the do offer the promise of a rich visual display.

will try it and let you know.

1 Like

It can work, indeed. The problem is, as soon as I move the box, the values change. Most likely I can protect the values. Also it looks like a lot of calculations to do. Thanks for the suggestions.

What values, you don’t describe that.

Also, I think I see a composite being formed which I don’t think helps. See how to suppress composite auto-formation.

If the above is too much calculation effort, why not consider using a Gantt chart planner - albeit outside Tinderbox - as that is effectively what we’re tinkering at here.

I’m not suggesting the idea outlined above is a two-minute task to build out. But experimentation helps understand the problem at hand. For instance , from the screen grab, I can see my ida might perhaps better be done stepped downwards, like Gantt chart. Doing so lessens the change of one note being moved to a position heavily overlapping and before the latter is moved the first’s position is interpreted as an intend to nest the notes. And so on…

Suppose you have a complex set of performances in a science museum or theme park that repeats on an hourly cycle. You want to plan stuff so there’s a good mix of things across the hour — you don’t want everything to happen only at the start! And you also want to mix activities in space, so you don’t have noisy things happening simultaneously at adjacent places. Here’s what I sketched out over ten minutes or so:

1 Like