Tinderbox Meetup February 12, 2023 Video

Tinderbox Meetup February 12, 2023 Video

Level Intermediate
Published Date 2/12/23
Revision 1
Type Meetup
Tags 5CKMEl, 5Cs of Knowledge Management and Exchange, Action Code, Agents, Artivicial Intellifence, Attribute Brwoser, Collect, Column View, DevonThink, Discovery, Documentation, Export, HTML, Knowledge Management, Note Organization, Note-Taking, Protypte, Quickstamp, Recursion, Screenwriting, Tables, Taggers, Templates, The Machine Stops, Thinking, Tinderbox, W3 Schools
Video Length 01:35:21
Video URL Tinderbox Meetup February 12, 2023 - YouTube
Example File TBX L - Meetup 12FEB23 Building Tables StorytellingR1.tbx (365.7 KB)
TBX Version 9.5
Instructor Michael Becker

TBXMeetup12FEB23

In this meetup, we discuss several topics:

• @eastgate’s investigation, Mark is working on strategies for packaging bits of functionality to make it easy to copy and paste this functionality between Tinderbox files
  • *The difference between Tinderbox and Devonthink, i.e., strategies for thinking and output production vs. managing the collection of your knowledge assets. The group went around this ideas for a bit, which lead to the introduction of key and new terms like Federverse, Federated Repository, Literate programming, etc. We also explored the different levels of understanding we all have about the infrastructure and tools we use, which raises questions about how deep do we need to go and when?
  • Scriptwriting, @fidel explored his desire to leverage Tinderbox to help him to create a repository of stories, characters, character arcs, character archetypes, and character roles that he can use to enhance and nuance his work. This discussion was triggered by this forum post .
  • Rendering knowledge and creating tables, riffing off of @fidel’s post @satikusala provided a review of how to render a table pasted into the RTF later of a note’s $Text. Topics explored include the creation of resource notes, thinking in Tinderbox, and producing output. We explored several Tinderbox capabilities and tools, including (not in order of sequence or priority):
    • Notes and note organization
    • Taggers
    • Attributes (system and user-generated, attribute types)
    • Prototypes
    • Quickstamp
    • Column View
    • Attribute Browser
    • collect() operator
    • Export templates, i.e., methods for producing HTML tables
    • Template recursion with include()
    • Inspector
    • Sort
    • Agents for search and to support report output
    • Badges
    • Inheritance
    • Repopulating attributes to create a dropdown to help with consistency and repurposing
    • Ease to which you can refine your approach and thinking, fix mistakes

Referenced Material

Cardwell, W. J. (2019). Storyforms: Manipulating readers with themes. Amazon.com

Forster, E. M. (1909). The Machine Stops. The Oxford and Cambridge Review.

Meetup Chat:
chat.txt (2.8 KB)

Please comment

Please help with the development of future sessions by answering the three questions below.

• What were your top 2~3 key takeaways from this lesson?
  • What do you want to learn next? Learn more about?
  • What exercises would help reinforce your learning?
1 Like

A. My top 3 takeaways from this lesson were:

1. Exploding notes and quick stamps can save a lot of time and hassle. Dragging and dropping csvs is a quick way to put data into TBX.
  2. When thinking of attributes to create, ask yourself “What will I search for in the future?” - and take that answer and use it to create attributes.
  3. When used correctly, Tbx forces you (or me I should say) to think deeply about the data in front of me. What it is, why it’s there, why it’s useful, etc. It’s like a philosophical tool in a way…

B. What do I want to learn more about?
Working with links between notes, different link types and using them to construct meaning.

C. What exercises would help reinforce my learning? Building different kinds of agent queries.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! I’m glad you got value out of the session. We’ll make these points part of this Saturday’s meetup. I have tones to share on both topics.