Tinderbox Meetup - Saturday, June 10, 2023: A Discussion with Jerry Michalski on The Brain and Tinderbox

I have tried permutations of combined/separate/networked project files - in my experience and considering my particular working style, this is not practicable - a couple reasons:

• The concept of incremental formalization is contrary to the idea of adding (and possibly forcing) new knowledge to an existing and perhaps differently formalized/structured data set. For example, I wouldn’t combine my CD collection database (disclaimer, I don’t have one - I’m not THAT much of a nerd) with my deep study of the seasonal mating habits of Madagascar Monarch butterflies (disclaimer, I don’t have one).
  • Projects of a varying nature tend to demand their specific organization; Tinderbox is wonderful in that it allows your projects to discover their specific structure. It’s a MULTI-tool!
  • It’s just not safe to put all one’s data into a single file; particularly when they may contain disparate Prototypes, contextually unrelated Attributes, and Agents that may act inappropriately with unintended consequences.

IMO, the advantage of the Tinderbox universe to the user is not so much combining all data into a God document, as is having the luxury of learning just one God application with which you can can-open a diverse range of project types.

3 Likes

Thank you, that is helpful. How do you then link information in other data sets that may be helpful? ie The discovery that Madagascar Monarch Butterflies may mate better if Mozart is played?

1 Like

:laughing:

Linking between data sets - there are a few ways of doing that:

1. Linking a Note in a Tbx project to external file - use File Attribute
  2. Linking a Note in a Tbx project to external URL - use URL Attribute
  3. Linking a Note in a Tbx project to another Note in another Tbx project - use “Copy Note URL” and paste the value into the URL Attribute field of your Note. NB this technique seems to be iffy in execution at the moment, it will open or shift focus to a project containing the URL’d Note, but not navigate to the Note itself.
  4. Linking an actual data set between projects - I would keep the data set outside (in CSV or other universally readable form) and port a copy to any project that happens to require the set.
  5. Linking a Note to an external data set - use File Attribute

HTH,
Art

3 Likes

TBX handles this extremely well. It has several views; you can create your own, the introduction of posters will be game-changing, and action code and templates are foundational.

It does appear that The Brain has a more efficient UI; however, for navigating around linked notes, in TBX lingo, The Brain looks like a Flattened Hyperbolic view. Also, in this view, you can create notes, which you can’t do it TBX’s hyperbolic view. Also, in Hyperbolic view, it does not appear that you can add new link associations. If somehow these three elements could be added to TBX, a flattened cross-container view and the ability to add notes and link associations in this view, then The TBX would be The Brain and sooooo much more.

One of the major limitations, for me, RE The Brain is the lack of action code, templates, and export. You can think it, but you can’t really produce and export any tangible contributions, i.e., processed output, out of The Brain. This is a non-starter for me. I need an open system, like TBX, to work with my data.

Per @eastgate’s note below this comment above was wrong.

Yes you can do both.

Hmmm, can you explain to me how? When I double-click on the map in Hyperbolic I can’t create a note. When I click on the parking lot and try to link a note to another note, they hyperbolic pauses and the link I create does not seem to appear to work. For me, I have to go to another view to create the link. Can you provide the steps for doing this–create a note, link to previously unlinked notes–in hyperbolic.

Drag a link from any note to the background; this creates a note and a link.

Drag a note from a note to another note; this creates a link.

1 Like

Yes, this is how you do it in Map view. HOw do you do it when you are in hyperbolic view? I don’t think you can, or I’m missing something. When in hyperbolic view and you think of a new idea, it is in that context that you want to be able to quick add a note and link it, or if you think of note you already have you want to be able to quickly link it and you’d expect the new linked now to then automagically appear into the hyperbolic map.

Try it in Hyperbolic view!

• Click on a note.
  • Hold the mouse down
  • Drag to the background
  • Enter the name of the new note
2 Likes

Great! Did not know this; works great.

What about linking to an existing note? When I click a note, select the parking lot and try to assign a link to an existing note, it does not seem to work.

Just drag the link to a note, instead of the background

Yes, but that only works if the notes is already visible as part of the linked map. What if it is an existing note that has not yet been linked into the existing map experience? In this case, you could not drag to it.

True. But, in the case we were discussing, everything must be linked.

By definition, hyperbolic view only shows notes linked directly/indirectly from the selected note. However, it is trivial to start a link from a note in the view, drag the the link to the tab bar link park, expose the desired target note in another tab/view (as it can’t yet be in the hyperbolic view as no link) and create the link.

Also, in hyperbolic view, in a selected notes’s text pane, the ziplinks method can be used.

Note too that although a double-click works to make a link in some views, that does not apply to all views.

HTH

Well yes, everything in the hyperbolic view must be linked, I think that is the point. What if I’m looking at the view and see Note 1 and then think to myself, “You know, Note 10 really should be linked to Note, and Note 10 is currently not linked to any note in the current view.” My natural inclination is to click the green parking log button next to the name and then attempt to link Note 10 to Note 1. The problem is that this does not seem to work.

This takes a few more steps that I want to make. I just want to dp this, which does not appear to work. I click “Link,” and the note ever actually links.

Everything in “The Brain” is linked to something, by definition. Same thing here. No need to use the parking space; all notes are linked, so they’re all in view.

The parking space works fine if you want to use it, but it’s extra steps. If you’re using it to make cross links, be sure to turn on cross links, and to enable cross-links for the link type you’re using.

But in my example above Note 10 is not yet linked to any of the notes in view. I’m trying to link it to Note 1 and I would expect it to come into view, it does not. I don’t understand how this is an extra step. I clearly don’t understand a link vs. a cross link. When I turn on Cross Links Note 10 still does not appear linked. Not sure what I’m missing here.

I’m giving up here.

2 Likes

Further testing shows you can use the link well (the cyan circle on the tab bar and top left of the text pane). To summarise the status quo (I need to update aTbRef)…

Making and linking to a note to Hyperbolic view, from within the view. Either

#1. Click a note and drag to the background, then complete the link creation pop-up in the normal manner. you may need to traverse the hyperbolic view first to ensure the source note is visible. Noting you can reverse the direction of the connection to the new now from the controls on the link creation pop-over. So, if you want to make a Note 11 and have it link to Note 3, select Note 3. Drag from the selected note in the view to the view background. On drop, in the pop-up name the new note ‘Note 11’, clicking into the link type field (so that the edit of the new note is accepted) before clicking the link direction button. For instance:

The new note generated as an (outline) sibling of the view’s source. the latter is the note with red outline in the view, i.e. not necessarily the currently selected note shown in the text pane). Thus:

In the image above, note ‘cow’ and note ‘xx’ are in different (outline folders)

Linking within view (assuming both source/destination are visible). Select the source and drag, drop onto destination note, complete link creation pop-up (ensuring the link type assigned is visible).

Linking to a note not in-scope of the current Hyperbolic view, i.e. these is no no (in)direct link-based path from source to destination. Use either:

• Drag a link from the text pane link well (with/or without a current $Text anchor). Switch to a new tab and view type that shows the destination note in the view and drag-complete the link from the tab bar link well. Switch back to Hyperbolic view.
  • The zip-linking method to make an untyped text link. Once created use Browse Links in the source note to set a link type if needed.

†. Currently, hyperbolic view shows all link types, but imminent improvements to the view will add type-based filtering. So it’s worth mentioning here as you don’t want to link on a note using only link type(s) filtered from view.

2 Likes