Tinderbox Meetup Sunday, October 22, 2023

Time: Sunday, October 22, 2023, 12:00 noon Eastern Time (US and Canada)

9 AM Pacific Time
Noon Eastern time
1300 São Paulo
1600 UTC
1700 London
1800 Paris
2130 Delhi

Zoom link for the meetup: Launch Meeting - Zoom

Chat:
chat.txt (5.3 KB)

@eastgate Just listened to the session, very interesting. In regards to visually seeing the indent of a note in an outline, it was suggested that a number, a color, or a badge might be used. I’d like to encourage you to consider the idea that multiple projects might be worked on within a single Tinderbox file and that a specific project may start multiple indents within an outline structure. To this end, I’d want the indent designation at the start at the primary/starting note of the specific project, rather than the Tinderbox root. I’ve developed action code that helps me automated by the online numbering that I will use in both displayed attributes and export, as will is the HTML heading numbering, This is also important for formatting the number of images, figures, and table campation number (you also need to consider if these items are numbered by chapter or from top to bottom in a doc).

Could you clarify the meaning of ‘indent’ here? Is the issue that you want Tinderbox rather than the user to set a custom outline depth for a the container for a discrete activity within the overall TBX. IOW, you might have a container at $OutlineDepth 2 and another at $OutlineDepth 3 but you want each, _for export purposes to to treat the projects’ container as if at outline depth value 1—or zero?— and cascade the value to all exporting descendants?

The problem with such an approach is, form experience, the neat conceptual idea tends to fall apart with actual content where all to often the actual source outline doesn’t quite fit the right outline implied by the numbering.

In the past (and pre-dating action variables & functions) people had simply seeded a Number-type attribute value via $OnAdd. Today, a cleaner approach might be for a project root note to hold a custom outline depth (‘indent’) and/or a set a boolean. Implicit assumption, that there is only one such container per outline branch. The the export template can use a function to interrogate the current note’s ancestors for the value of the root note and work out the correct indent offset from that.

The challenge for doing this internally is how the app stores/signals the value to export templates? Perhaps, rather than build such a feature into the app (thus requiring a feature request for any subsequent customisation) is to make a (function) library that could be installed if needed (akin to built-in prototypes). that would install the default functionality whilst allowing the user access for the inevitable per-user customisation then needed.

Hi Michael, Is there a link for this meeting that I am missing?

Thanks
Tom

Video: Tinderbox Meetup 2022-10-22 on Vimeo

For (almost) all the meetup videos: Mark Bernstein’s Videos on Vimeo

1 Like

You Interpreted my meaning correctly, I was referring to the idea of setting outline depth to at a project folder level rather than the TBX root for any number of reasons. You are correct, this can become complicated quickly and will take refinement for one’s individual needs. This idea of working on multiple projects in one TBX file did not come up in the meetup and if @eastgate is looking for a way to create a visual signal for showing OutlineDepth then the idea of multiple projects that may start off root should be considered.

Personally, I’ve already resolved this issue for my own needs.

1 Like