Tinderbox Meetup: SUNDAY September 11

Time: SUNDAY, September 11, 2022 12:00 noon Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Insights Discovery In Tinderbox: Strategies and Tactics for Generating Insight from Your Notes
So, you’ve put a ton of notes in Tinderbox. Now what? What do you do with them? How do you organize them? How do you find stuff and generate insight from your notes?

In this session, we’ll review and exchange insights discovery tactics, and strategies. We’ll look at features and tools like find, views (e.g. cross tabs, attribute browser, timeline), agents, navigation, editing, linking, FoxTrot, etc. Sneak peek tip: discovery goes hand-in-hand with curation. As Mark A. Refers refers to it: “enlightened self-interest is your friend.”

Bring your projects and puzzlements. Let the community lend a hand.

9 AM Pacific Time
Noon Eastern time
1300 São Paulo
1600 UTC
1700 London
1800 Paris
2130 Dehli

Beginners especially welcome!

3 Likes

Wonderful topic. I think we should also add using NLTags to the discovery process. For example: at the the beginning of a project you have an idea (to borrow from the Tom Webster QDA video), “you know the topics will be something about food, location, service etc”.
You can then set up some NLTags, then periodically check back to review what it has found. I like to use the Attribute Browser as my tool of choice to explore NLTags.

Its, almost like a discovery assistant. Many times, no surprises, but sometimes it finds an association you might have forgotten about.

Other useful tools are wordClouds and similarTo
Tom

1 Like

I like this topic as it shifts us from fixed workflow to an exploratory one. Yet, the insights about how the app works can still help with more close ended tasks. I’m sure I’m as prone to any to moving straight to of using a precise query to explore some notes’ data when using any of the aforementioned investigative tools might have been a better start. With lack of use, they fade from muscle memory.

Put another way: to the person with a hammer, everything is a nail. So, we need to get in the habit of taking out some of the other tools in the box more often, even if only to remind ourselves what they do —or we can read about them on aTbRef. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The meeting’s chat log (courtesy of @archurhh ): log

1 Like

Video: Tinderbox Meetup 11-Sep-2022 on Vimeo

1 Like