Tinderbox Meetup Video- Saturday, October 14: Stacey Mason on Goal Setting and Management with Tinderbox

Tinderbox Meetup Saturday 04 Oct. Video: Stacey Mason on Goal Setting and Management with Tinderbox

Level Beginner
Published Date 10/14/23
Type Meetup
Tags 5Cs, 5Cs Learning and Knowledge Management, ADHD, Excel, Game Development, Knowledge Management, Michael Becker, OneNote, PKM, Personal Knowledge Management, Stacey Mason, Strava, Tinderbox, Twitch
Video Length 01:25:48
Video URL https://youtu.be/M66QNflQ-Ww
Chat chat.txt (6.3 KB)
TBX Version 9.6
Instructor Michael Becker

In this Tinderbox Meetup, Stacy Mason†, a former Eastgater and now an acclaimed game developer and narrative researcher, shares with us her strategies on setting and keeping goals at a micro and macro scale.

About Stacey Mason

†Stacey Mason 2 is a critically acclaimed game developer and narrative researcher based in Oakland, CA. She was previously the creative lead for R&D teams at places like Telltale Games and 2K Games. Most recently, Stacey was the lead narrative designer for the upcoming massively multiplayer interactive streaming series Borderlands: Echovision Live . Stacey also likes to keep one foot in academic research communities and has a Ph.D. in Computer Science from the Expressive Intelligence Studio at UC Santa Cruz. # Stacey’s Process Stacey shared the following gaol setting process.

• Outline Goals and Habits (in Tinderbox)
  • Map Goals and Habits to Map View (in Tinderbox)
  • Move items from Tinderbox to MSFT OneNote (OneNote is the best day-to-day tool and set were environment in Windows)
  • Review daily, weekly, monthly, and quarterly goals.
  • Periodically revisit Tinderbox for inspiration

She Tracks her running with Strava.

When setting a goal, Stacy’s considers “How much mental energy am I going to have to expect and is that realistic?”

A key aspect of Stacey’s process is the intentional use of friction. She tries to automate a few steps, but for the most part, she uses the friction of manual intervention to force thinking. According to Stacey, “The process is the point. The point of manual check-ins is helpful.”

Considered intentionality comes up. Intentionally choose what you want to be manual. What you want to be automated?

Habits and Goals

Stacey notes thatwe tend to “overestimate what we can get done in a day, and underestimate what we can get done in a year.”

For Stacey, habits are daily practices to help to achieve a goal, a minimum baseline behavior that will help spur the achievement of the goals. We need both,

Notable Quote sand Comments

• “Automate the friction that we want too go away, and keep the parts where we want the friction to stay.”
  • “Automate the parts of the Tinderbox document that are friction you want to go away…Keep the productive friction.”
  • “There are places where friction is useful for the thought processes.”
  • @Detlef “Habits are the personal strategy to reach a goal?!”
  • “I think of habits as behaviors where the probability of completing the action is relatively high with a fair amount of personal satisfaction and self-efficacy. Forming habits usually requires more structuring and extrinsic motivation in moving to achieve automaticity, fluidity, and fidelity of our behaviors. Tracking helps to keep us honest with our real vs imagined progress.”
  • @Stacey: “The limiter on our success is often not our time; it is our focus.”
  • “Goal Setting: don’t lose the forest through the trees.”
  • Remember: “The tool serves you, not the other way around.”
  • @Stacey: "For me Tinderbox is a thinking tool… manual processes.
  • Socrates: “The unexamined life isn’t worth living.”
  • “Reward the behavior you want, ignore/starve the behavior you don’t want.”
  • @Stacey: “One of my values is constant curiosity.”
  • @Stacey: “Anything worth doing is worth doing badly.”
  • @Stacey: “Commitment is really just re-commitment. It is constantly making the effort to come back.”
  • @Stacey: “It is easy to automate things in Tinderbox. But when I automate it, I don’t think about it. I use the lack of automation, “friction,” to help me think.”
  • @Stacey: "“Tinderbox helps me slow the process of thinking down.”
  • @Detlef “When it comes to my goals, it is important for me to distinguish between the goals I have to achieve and those I can achieve.”
  • @Stacey “Strive for perfection, but be realistic as to what can actually be achieved.”
  • Behavior = f(user x Environment).

Resources

Please comment

Please help with the development of future sessions by answering the three questions below.

• What were your top 2~3 key takeaways from this lesson?
  • What do you want to learn next? Learn more about?
  • What exercises would help reinforce your learning?
3 Likes