TINDERBOX MEETUPS: 13 MARCH 2022 and 19 MARCH 2022

Time: SUNDAY March 13, 2022 Noon Eastern Time (US and Canada)

A note from Mark Bernstein: I’m taking a short vacation. I’ll try to monitor the forum occasionally in the coming week, but the meetups are unlikely for me.

Bring your questions, puzzles and projects!

coming events:
SATURDAY Mar 19

9 AM Pacific Time
Noon Eastern time
1400 São Paulo
1600 UTC
1700 UTC/London
1800 Paris
2230 Dehli

Zoom link for the meetup

Mark, per last week’s meeting, I’m still happy to moderate the session for the 13th and 19th. Shall we use the Zoom link below? How shall we record it? Will I have or can I get admin permissions somehow?

BTW, I hope you have a relaxing vacation!!! :desert_island::flight_departure::oncoming_automobile: :world_map:

Here’s the image I couldn’t find on Sunday (it was still stuck in Oculus-world). The graph is Mark Bernstein’s 1998 paper “Patterns of Hypertext” linked to all in-conference is papers it cites and all conference papers citing it. Yes, a smarter me would have used different colours for in vs. out links. The data is drawn from my public dataset on the ACM Hypertext Conference 1987-2021, which I created specifically to help people trying to explore visualisation pf citational links. ACM HT seems the be, Goldilocks-like, just the right size corpus for a dataset. Here’s the image as seen in the Noda app inside Oculus OS:

An interesting effect is that all papers (nodes) from the same year should align on the Y axis (the data here only uses X/Y but no Z component. However, parallax effects means it looks like they don’t.

So, VR is not as simple as 2D with an extra D. New tools are needed. Happily, app like Tinderbox, with powerful export features can supply data rather than fixed views to inform visualisation experiments in the VR environment. The source doc for the ACM HT dataset is, you’ve guessed, a TBX. The CSV file for this is simple as output but used a lot of action code tweaking/transform of source data to make the above possible.

†. Why? Because it is the most-linked paper within the ACM Hypertext conference. @eastgate has been a significant contributor in this field and IIRC, has published/co-published more papers in this conference than any other another.

‡. CSV import into the app, as used here, requires a (monthly) subscriber licence: most app features are otherwise free. Why Noda? I’m using it as part of investigations but the Future of Text group (see also FTL) into how we use text in a VR/AR environment.