Tinderbox Training Video 26 - Daily Journal Time Tracking Project Management Part 1

Cool! You free later this afternoon or this week? Perhaps we can jump on a Zoom call and we can build out a plan. Shoot me a private message. I can show you the outline for the book I’m working on too. Would love you ideas.

1 Like

Messaging you.

Interesting to see what is possible – a lot more than I might have imagined.

I have sometimes thought that a good way for a user to learn Tinderbox would be to create a Tinderbox file about learning Tinderbx. And that leads me to think that it would be interesting to have a series of Tinderbox files at different stages of development. Instead of asking the student to deconstruct the file, it might be useful to see how an experienced user goes from the very first blank file and gradually builds in new elements. (Probably that is what you are planning.) The learner could then look at Tbx1, followed by Tbx2, Tbx3, etc., and see the building process at each stage, making comparisons between the files in sequence. I’m all in favour of small chunks, but I think that chaining them in sequence could be very powerful.

That is exactly what I’m planning. Now that I have the file that is, for the most part optimized, I am going to take it from three approaches: 1) decontract the file, i.e. “Here is how I did this and why”, 2) Start fresh and build in real-time through a series of points (a lot like what @beck did in her wonderful 4-part 2019 videos, and 3) conduct a series of technique videos, with an explanation and suggestions on where this technique might apply in a different context (in regards to this point, I’d love to know other people’s context, e.g. professor, student, lawyer, doctor, writer, project or product manager, and the project they’re working on, e.g. literature review, case analysis, book or article, project execution or product development, etc.).

On this last point RE context, does anyone of any suggests on how we can most efficiently collect insight on TBX user’s context and projects?

HI ,

One of the things you’ve achieved is by typing shortcuts of mtg- and tsk- to do linking/expanding , could you tell me how that was done.

I’m not exactly sure which part you’re referring to. Can you give a screenshot?

I tried to create a fresh Project. I can see it but it does not look active.
I must miss something. Need a more smaller step intro to this, may be.

HI Micheal,
This got sorted during the Zoom Meetup. I wanted the $name.beginswith or $name.contains

Thanks

Inactive means? I believe Milestone has to be created within a project for this file for the due dates to be activated.

within the existing project the example of the video work fine.

Morning, can you provide a screenshot? What does “not look active” mean? What is your expected experience or behavior?

Bild 31.01.21 um 15.31
the color is not blue. I tried to set a start gate and I can type in a date, or select a day, but it is not saved, when I go back it is gone. So I can not get the Project going, somehow.

Don’t forget, attribute names are case-sensitive thus $attrname and $AttrName are not the same attribute; the same is true for action code funxtions/operators. So, you want $Name.beginsWith or $Name.contains

Hi Werner, you’re not doing anything wrong.

Try this. As you now have a child of the project, the project will adopt the earliest date as the start date and the latest date as DueDate. So in Tsk- Task go ahead and set the $StartDate and $DueDate to something like this:

Also, for fun, tap on the “prototype selector”, the rectable to the left the ink arrow, with two fingers, and apply the task prototype:

I’ll work on a video this week to explain what’s going on.

1 Like

The color of the task changed as explained in your one by one explanation.
Thanks a lot.
WernerBild 31.01.21 um 19.32

1 Like

I’ve just updated the file, also added a related lesson: Tinderbox Training Video 27 - TBX - Deconstructing Daily Journal Date Descendants Management.

1 Like

Highly recommend watching this video if you want to get inspired. Thank you Michael.

2 Likes

Hi Michael,

this video was absolutely amazing. Looking forward to tinkering with the file! How is the book project coming along? Have a great start to the week,

All the best,

doc_c

1 Like

Thanks. :slight_smile: book is coming. I have two more to finish before I tackle the Tinderbox book. A draft in Aug/Spet. is possible.

2 Likes

Will be happy to proof-read the manuscript… I am also a key tester: if I can follow and put its contents into practice, anyone can :wink:

Wishing you much success with your current projects / books! Thanks for all you share on this Forum / your channel!

Cheers

1 Like