Using Tinderbox to catalog my library books

Ah, what a great question. I don’t have a ton of time to explain all the details, but I’ve pulled this together for you.

Perhaps we could discuss it this weekend. If you’d like to schedule a call with me to go over it in some detail, I’d be happy to; just DM me.

About this File

This is a Library demo created by Michael Becker.

There are several types of items that can be included in the library.

• Books

• Movies

• Articles

The Library folder includes an $OnAdd to add an item.

You’ll want to modify the Item Type and Status.

Other points:

• I would put the abstract or overview of the Item in its $Text.

• If you add a child to an item, a note is created with the item’s name and today’s date. This note can be used to collect notes about the item.

• There are two agents, one to search by what you need to read or watch and by terms.

• I use prefixes to help distinguish notes, and $ShortTile populated by a function so that I have the $Name independent of the prefix.

• Using a dictionary, the Item’s $Color, $Badge, $NameStrike, and $Flag are automatically set based on the value of the $Type or $Status.

• Using a create() action code sequence, the Item note automatically creates Author notes and Terms notes in the Resources Folder and links them to the note. The links types represent the type of item. It the Author or Terms change the notes will be unlinked, but the crated notes will remain.

NOTE: Requires TBX V9.1 (if you are on TBX V8 see below).
TBX L - Reference Library.tbx (540.8 KB)

1 Like
  1. How many books do you expect to catalog?

2. Are most of the books recent enough to have bar codes? If so, you might save time by using Delicious Monster to scan the barcodes; Tinderbox has import from Delicious Monster. (This has been lightly tested in recent years as it’s not been very popular, but it’s nifty.)

3. Are most of the books in the Library Of Congress? If so, you can save some typing by using EndNotes to look up each volume in the Library of Congress, and then to import its record into EndNotes. cmd-opt-drag from EndNotes to Tinderbox.

There’s nothing terrible about retyping the basic bibliographic information, but I find it’s nice to minimize typing when you can. Then again, I’m not a good typist.

Is there any documentation on this? How does not import?

For those interested, you can do a similar operation using Zotero.

Totally agree. :slight_smile:

Whether imported or re-typed, do take a moment to review the ingested data. Trust, but verify. Sadly, all lot os primary sources (publishers, journals) don’t check their data and aggregators like google books or DBLP simply regurgitate the primary source.

So, I’d agree ingest of data is a good plan—if only to avoid adding re-keying typos. The stage we forget it to check if the data accurately reflects the catalogued item.

So, making a catalogue is easier (less work) than making an accurate catalogue! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for pulling this together. I have downloaded it and 1 am checking it out.

Quick question - The Tinderbox application quits after opening the document and clicking around on various areas of the outline and map. It doesn’t happen every time and I don’t have any more specifics (but can get if you like).

There appears to be some script (?) running in the background at startup that adds items the outline but I can’t be sure (there’s just a vague flickering in the upper outline items that eventually stops).

I am using v8.7.1. Don’t know if that could be the root cause.

I am traveling this weekend but will definitely keep this in mind.

I’ve also found your list of training videos that I will check out.

I would estimate that I’ve got just over a thousand books, graphic novels, etc. in my library. I plan on doing a keep/no keep process as I go through them but I am notorious for not getting rid of books.

I’ve heard of this program. I will check it out. Thanks.

I note the test documents’ rules (12 in number) and edicts (38) use functions. The Action code function() was not added until v9.1.0 but @billmaya is still using v8.71, so those likely need re-writing to function as intended in the older version. The function call might be a source of the instability reported.

So, it might make sense to start with a simpler exploration doc with less automation.

Note, although aTbRef (and its various baselines) can indicate when a feature as added or altered, there is no easy way to say “show me all features/code/whatever added since version vX.x.x”. This is difficult if one doesn’t have a copy of the older app to check. The v8 baseline (v8.0.0 to v8.9.2) for aTbRef may be useful. Note that starts with v8.0.0 as a base and all per-release changes through to v8.9.2 will be annotated on pages affected. Since then, there was a v9.0.0 baseline and the current baseline is from v9.5.0.

HTH :slight_smile:

Ah, sorry! I neglected your version requirement when I drafted the demo. Here you go; I’ve reverted the code to something that should work in V8. Let me know how it goes for you. :slight_smile:

TBX L - Reference Library v8 R1.tbx (848.5 KB)

1 Like

It’s hard to do tech support of a release that’s almost 3½ years out of date. Since then, we’ve fixed many hundreds of bugs and added piles of new features.

Emailing crash reports to tinderbox@eastgate.com is helpful.

There are no scripts whatsoever that run at Tinderbox startup, and never have been.

Thanks Michael. Appreciate it but not necessary (I would have upgraded at some point).

Understood. I will probably be upgrading at some point.

NP. It only took about 20 minuets. :slight_smile:

I catalog my books by scanning the barcodes most of them have with Bookbuddy on my iPhone. I have an export format defined in that app. I export to .csv the recent scans. (Bookbuddy automatically grabs the data for each book from a database maintained by publishers.) I drag the .csv into Tinderbox. There is one note per book. I apply a book prototype to the notes. I have a template that exports each note to markdown. The markdown notes are added to Obsidian, where they are automatically associated with the highlights and notes from my Readwise database. It is more efficient overall than trying the cranky Readwise method in Tinderbox.

2 Likes

A “Michael Becker” minute? What takes MB 20 minutes will take me 20 hours – if not more. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Hope this is covered in the meetup.

We did not cover this today, perhaps we can do it next weekend, if people are interested.

1 Like

Excellent, just catalogued 600+ books using BookBuddy (mainly en route to recording where in the house they are shelved). As it uses public resources, the thumbnail is occasionally wrong missing (unsurprising for older books). Still for £.pp only, it’s saved a bunch of time. I used an iPad and can attest it synchs to the phone and my Mac (I think the desktop is running the IPadOS version. You can’t add new items from the Desktop but you can still read/edit the data.

Even though BookBuddy, seems designed as a reading/lending tracker it is still a fast way to generate partial/whole stub records that can then be passed to other apps for enrichment.

1 Like

Just a quick POV on these matters.

I would be careful about putting any future stock into Delicious Library. It is abandonware. Its author, Wil Shipley, took a full time job some years ago at Apple and has publicly stated that his private development efforts are pretty much over. It was a disappointment to me because I had almost 5000 books in my DL database, but things started breaking and there was no one to turn to (I haven’t had any luck getting an email answer in the past either). I’m surprised, frankly, he still offers it on his website without a disclaimer.

As members of this forum like to say, it’s worthwhile to use the right tool for the job. I’m impressed, as always, with Michael Becker’s attempt to give you a working book library in Tinderbox, but unless you’re dealing with a small library, I’d say this isn’t the best use of Tinderbox’s time or yours. You said you have a catalog of around 1000 volumes, which I’d venture is too many to be playing around with here. Consider TB for analysis and deep diving, its strengths, either in a single document or multiples, allowing your work to build up over time to whatever mass you need. And then for actual cataloguing, why not use a more appropriate tool, such as Book Tracker? It will handle your 1000 and my 5000 and no doubt a great deal additionally. It has scanning built-in (on iOS), read tracking, and more. It’s not quite as lovely as Delicious Library was, at its peak, but it’s good and it has an active and enthusiastic developer.

2 Likes