I found this on Reddit:
Here’s what was posted:
I asked ChatGPT to get an initial view. I particularly find points (4) Incremental Formalizationand (5) Transclusion and Embedding particularly insightful and not commonly discussed.
“Tools for thought” like Roam Research represent a significant evolution in the realm of personal knowledge management systems. They differ from traditional note-taking and organizational tools in several key ways:
- Bidirectional Linking: Unlike traditional systems that use hierarchical or linear structures, tools like Roam allow for bidirectional linking between notes or ideas. This means any piece of information can be directly linked to another, regardless of its position in a traditional hierarchy, enabling a more network-like structure of knowledge.
- Networked Thought: These tools facilitate a more natural representation of how our brains work. Instead of forcing information into predefined categories, they allow for a more organic, associative form of organization where ideas are interlinked, mimicking the way our brains recall and connect information.
- Non-linear and Flexible Organization: Traditional systems often require you to decide where to put something in a structure (like a folder or a document). In contrast, tools for thought allow for a more fluid and dynamic organization of information, accommodating non-linear and evolving understanding.
- Incremental Formalization: They support the gradual structuring of knowledge. You can start with loose notes and ideas, and over time, as your understanding and collection grow, you can organize and reorganize them without rigid constraints.
- Transclusion and Embedding: The ability to embed or transclude information (showing the same content in multiple places without duplication) is a key feature. This reduces redundancy and maintains a single source of truth for any piece of information.
- Personalization and Extensibility: These tools often offer extensive customization and extensibility, allowing users to tailor the experience to their specific needs and workflows. This might include custom templates, scripting, or integration with other tools and services.
- Focus on Thought and Idea Generation: Unlike traditional tools which are often geared towards storage, retrieval, or task management, tools for thought are designed with the generation and development of ideas as a central goal. They encourage exploration, connections, and the evolution of thoughts.
- Graph Views and Visual Representation: Many tools for thought provide graphical representations of your knowledge network, helping to visualize connections and discover new relationships between ideas.
In summary, “tools for thought” like Roam Research represent a paradigm shift in knowledge management, focusing on the associative, networked, and flexible organization of information that aligns more closely with human cognition and creativity.
Is there any difference of opinion or addendums in the Tinderbox community?
And, where does AI come in, because I for one find the ability to off load the writing to free me to figure out the more complex and interesting aspects of my thought work.