Next Zoom Meetup: 2020-08-29

Here’s a placeholder for next week’s meetup.

Saturday, August 29, at 9:00a PDT

If you’re interested in zettelkastens, this might be the meetup for you.

On the agenda:

• Using Tinderbox to surface bottom-up emergent data.
  • How big can our data file (zettelkasten) get? From The Tinderbox Way: Think hundreds and thousands, not tens and hundreds of thousands.

How can we plan ahead, use and curate our Tinderbox files—possibly connect multiple files?—so we don’t outgrow the power and benefits Tinderbox brings to data?

NOTE: We plan on recording this meeting.

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 885 065 9900
One tap mobile
+13126266799,8850659900# US (Chicago)
+16465588656,8850659900# US (New York)

Dial by your location
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 885 065 9900
Find your local number: Zoom International Dial-in Numbers - Zoom

Hello Sylvaticus.

I am very interested in this meetup and the representation of time and timelines using Tinderbox.

Is there a Recording of the meetup of 2020-08-22?? If so I would love to be able to view it.

I have a 2-day conference this weekend and will, unfortunately, miss this next Tinderbox meetup.

Is it possible for you to record it for me to view later?

Thank you. Daniel Shurman

Sadly, no, Daniel. If I don’t completely goof up this time, I’ll remember to record today’s meeting :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Fantastic meetup! Thank you to everyone who shared their screens and projects, and of course thank you to Mark!

I will upload the chat file and a link to the recording as soon as possible. I think @eastgate will have to share the link.

Let’s plan to meet next week, but note that Mark won’t be able to join us. So, we’ll just have to stumble around as best we can. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Until soon!

1 Like

Here’s the chat file. It’s a plain text file, so everyone should be able to read it.

meeting_saved_chat.txt.zip (4.4 KB)

And the raw video is here: Tinderbox Meetup 29 August 2020 on Vimeo

I’m tempted to edit this to tighten, but perhaps the raw video is OK for now.

3 Likes

Great meeting! I think it is fine unedited. Thanks for posting it!

I wrote up my problem and solutions here: Case Study: design in map view, then make sense in outline view

In that post I tried to link to the exact spot in the video in which we discussed my project.

1 Like

One suggestion in the last meeting (I’m not sure if it came from Steve), was about Tinderbox using some database server.

I’ve superficially read about eXist DB, which is the database engine behind the TEI publisher. It’s a document database based on XML.

Is it a possibility for Tinderbox to have something like a connector to a database of this kind? Would it be advantageous in terms of performance and scalability?

Otherwise, and although TBX is already XML, which permits read access to the data anyways, the capability for simultaneously writing to a document, for example, could potentially open a new world of interoperability.

(Omnioutliner, by the way, already has XSL transformation methods built into its scripting idiom, but I don’t know what is it meant for exactly).

1 Like

This is technically impractical, and if it were practical it would substantially degrade performance.

The XSL transformation methods aren’t really relevant here.

1 Like