A Tinderbox Zettelkasten starter file

There is another cartesian rule that is as important as the others for the way I use Tinderbox and that appears in his Regulae ad directionem ingenii (1628), rule 6: “before tackling a question, collect randomly and without choice the first truths that arise”, statement that is often interpreted as the following advice: write down an idea as it comes. Was Descartes the precursor of the brainstorming? Anyway, Tinderbox allows me to write down on the fly what I was thinking of, then, ask myself if such idea is connected with another one or can be clarified from another notes that the Attribute Browser shows me.

1 Like

Just as a quick interjection, and excuse my short and unpolished post, but our second child has just arrived so time is scarce.

I would love to use the zettelkasten spirit more. However, I thought part of the Note ID idea was to also have a form of sequential connection between notes and or somewhat of a postal area code to show association of some sort. Note ID doesn’t give that. Or do I mistake the original purpose of ZettelIDs?

Thanks for your elaborate thoughts on not polluting $Text and using attributes. I am very guilty of this. I tend to export the note highlights after reading a paper into $Text with the bookends RefID appended for easy quoting. If it is a reference mentioned from yet anither paper I add that bookends ID as wellnor at least, if mire a referenced cooy the refs into $Text so I know which ones are being quoted. Occasionally, I explode such notes to have a bit more granular access to the quoted snippets for the AI /“see also” function of TB .

I admit the atomic note of insight is notnyet there. In medical research there is a lot of fact gathering initially sonI try to sort it that way and keep reference quotes at hand when writing papers.

I would love your thoughts on how to conveniently use attributes in that process or suggestions to optimise it generally.

Cheers and stay safe. Love the thread and thought exchanges here!

I’m not sure Luhmann really intended the NoteIDs to be more than an arbitrary unique symbol. But you can gain your desired property in several easy ways.

1. Assign NoteID sequentially, using a sequential numeric attribute or in some other convenient way.
  2. Use $Created to get the date on which each note was created; an agent can easily gather other notes for that day, or week, or month.
  3. Link notes to the immediately-preceding notes, again facilitating chronological browsing.
2 Likes

First off, I agree with Mark, the $Created and some combination will get you there.

As for my thoughts, I am first struck by the word “conveniently.” This is the holey grail, once achieved, will have reached Wakamatus-san’s crescendo. It will be a grand venture as we strive for this (again, I’m drawn to the sunrise painting in the book The First Importal–read Time Machine first).

I’m getting closer and closer to it being more “convenient.” The goal is to have one idea in one place. So, you don’t have you remember which TBX file it is in, it is in that one, or you can link back to it. Luhman’s goal was not to remember everything all the time but to create a process that allowed him to rediscover his insight at the right moment and have those insights ready for use.

In October last year, I shared with the community how my Tinderbox files have effectively become my knowledge and economic asset. I how their input, my clients get the output and only the output. It is the input that has value; the output is just the. Presentation of that value. Luhman notes that people will often get this wrong; they think the value is in the output, it is not. Learning and creating happen at the come of collection and curation. Do collection and curation “right,” the creation becomes pure joy, and contribution (especially with Tinderbox) nearly takes care of itself.

So, long story short, I’m finding it more convenient to take the extra time to get the citation to write, drop-in rough notes, break them up as must as possible initially, and then incremental formalize along the way, which includes the creation, deletion, and merging of attributes as needed. I’m finding joy in the tinkering. Yes, it takes a bit more time upfront, but I learn more, and it takes a hell of a lot of time off the backend.

I’m still learning. I’m just now coming to these realizations. I wish I had them 20 years ago, but I did not. I have them now and am looking ahead with excitement and great anticipation for the future.

PS: I’d be happy to host and record a session of my workflow with you.

1 Like

That sounds exciting. So you mean you would host a Tinderbox meetup and walk us through it? I am always eager to learn about other people’s workflows to get inspiration for my own. I then Have to get through many if your videos again first. I am a still very superficial user and my clinical job only allows for bursts of research time. Or I should try and introduce TBX more into to daily routines to generate more exposure.

second, thank you for your thoughts. Maybe it is time for me, to invest more upfront but there is just sooo much material to get.

Also agree on the sentiment if I had known what I am beginning to know now. And found my way to TBX/Zettel and Mac earlier.

YES!!! Absolutely. Tinderbox is like any skill, use it or lose it. For me, it has become second nature. I spend 90% of my day in Tinderbox- oh, and Zoom…but I Tinderbox while Zooming ;-).

Sure… @bmgphd and I are actually going to form some classes, but before we get started we can hold a Friday afternoon session if you’d like. We’d do this separate so as not to distract the Saturday group. Or, if we want to take up one of our Saturday’s we could.

That would be absolutely amazing! The classes being formed and meeting up on a Friday pm. But I have to warn you, I am really inexperienced. what would you consider to be the essential videos of your excellent series to watch and study beforehand? (won‘t have time to go through all of them, unforgunately)

hope all is well! stay safe, J.

1 Like

Dear satikusala,
Thank you very much for your
TBX L for Response - Response to Wakamatus san 8_22_2021.tbx.
I asked those following question on 22 August?
I have not received any answer yet.
I am sorry to bother you.
I am looking forward to your suggestions on how I can improve.

Question.
I have inserted a “Japanese translation” into your 2021.tbx text.
However, in the result of HTML export, the Japanese is ‘missing’ in some places.
What is going on?
I would be very grateful if you could suggest a solution.
Thx and regards, WAKAMATSU

P.S
It may be that the way pandoc specifies the access point does not work in my environment.

Sorry, I asked through LinkedIn. I"m not sure what you mean by "inserted a “Japanese translation” Inserted where? it could be you copied in RTF that is messing up the export code. Not sure, but you could try clearing the font and size not sure.

Dear Mr.Mickael Becker,
Sorry for the lack of explanation.
I have checked the LinkdIn message, now.
I took a screenshot this morning using the one that changed the pandoc PATH.
Could you know where I drew the translation and the details of the tbx file?
I hope this helps.
Has the problem been solved by any chance?
I would like to compare the screen display with your original.

Respectfully, WAKAMATSU

Pandoc

P.S
pandoc PATH : /usr/local/bin/pandoc
I do no have pandocSP folder, I tack on new 2 folders.
/Users/kuni7/pandocSP
/Users/kuni7/pandocSP/ZBib

Oh, see. I see, I suspect you don’t have Pandoc installed, correct?

If that is the case, then there are two things you need to, as the Stamp you’re using is optimize for using Pandox as the preview rendering engine and with a special twist I needed to add so that inline export codes would resolve in $Text.

Try this:

Set the $HTMLPreviewCommand=CommonMark. CommonMark is the default markdown engine in Tinderbox 9.

And, uncheck Markup Text.

If you want to fix the stamp, set
``
$HTMLPreviewCommand=“CommonMark”;
$HTMLMarkupText=false;

Try that, let me know if it works.

Dear Mr.Mickael Becker,
Thank you very much for your informations.
I have installed Pandoc.
I have been using pandoc for about 8 years now
to export from LaTeX to various types of files.
I changed the path to pandoc to
/usr/local/bin/pandoc
in the Action code in the Stamp that your Preview Markdown wPandoc.
I have also changed the other entries under Users to fit my environment.

My setting HTMLPreviewCommand is
/usr/local/bin/pandoc -f markdown --citeproc --bibliography=/Users/kuni7/pandocSP/ZBib/MyLibrary.bib --csl=/Users/kuni7/pandocSP/ZBib/apa.csl -t html
Respectfully, WAKAMATSU

Do you a have a MyLibrary.bib file in place, i.e. one exported from Zotero?

How about the apa.csl?

For now, just try this “usr/local/bin/pandoc -f markdown -html”

Did you try seetig this: $HTMLMarkupText=false;.

Dear Mr.Mickael Becker,
Thank you for providing this important information.

Q 01 :Do you a have a MyLibrary.bib file in place, i.e. one exported from Zotero?
A 01 : I created a dummy file from BibTeX via TeXmaker(ver.5.0.4) and renamed it “MyLibrary.bib”
MyLibrary.bib

Q02 : How about the apa.csl?
A02 : citation-style-language/styles: Official repository for Citation Style Language (CSL) citation styles.[[https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles]]
I downloaded apa.csl from here, copied it and pasted it into a newly created folder
/Users/kuni7/pandocSP/ZBib.

Q 03 : For now, just try this “usr/local/bin/pandoc -f markdown -html”
A 03 Q : There is no “/” in front of “usr”, are you sure you want to use this imperative?

Q 04 : Did you try seetig this: $HTMLMarkupText=false;.
A 04 : I have not tried it yet.

Respectfully, WAKAMATSU

Dear Mr.Mickael Becker,
I found another problem about using Japanese.
In your file [ On connections ] , I add Japanese translation
after each paragraph.

$Text (in English) , this sign do not block any Code,
but when I use in translated Japanese, become grit in
the gears of conversion process.
I forgot to take a defective screen shot.
I make a trade of standard $ sign for Japanese 2-bite $,
putting down with Japanese where without incident.

The following is a report of the execution and one of the questions.
Q 03 : For now, just try this “usr/local/bin/pandoc -f markdown -html”
A03 : [WARNING] Citeproc: citation Apple2020c not found
in Quickstamp > HTML > HTMLExportCommand > Apply

Q 04 : Did you try seetig this: $HTMLMarkupText=false;.
A 04 Q : What means [ seetig ] ??

A04 : I have tried it.
$HTMLMarkupText=true;
$HTMLMarkdown=false;

Respectfully, WAKAMATSU

$ sign in Japanese

Dear Mr.Mickael Becker,
I try to reproduce Japanese 2-bite problem.
I use $ sign to follow the normal Western customs.
Attached zip file are
01 Japanrse $ sign01-TopPage-TextView
02 Japanrse $ sign01-EndPage-TextView
03 Western $ sign -TextView00
04 Western $ sign in Japanese 01-Preview

04 Preview is quite unusual disrupt the view
from On Connections Top Page.
Iwould appreciate a comparison,
and would be grateful for any guidance
on solutions.
Respectfully, WAKAMATSU

OnConnenctions.zip (853.4 KB)

I see, this might be why your getting the citeproc error as the @Apple2021c reference is NOT in the dummy file.

That should be fine.

You’re right you need the “/”

'k you can try that.

This is a fascinating discussion. I don’t have a great deal to contribute, but may I suggest that, to avoid future confusion, we standardize on the spelling of the key term, Zettelkasten, and its derivatives such as ZettelID? The main/sole language of this forum is English, so I suppose it isn’t so weird to want to anglicize it, but contributors are from all parts of the world and it seems simpler and more respectful to the originator(s) to keep it the same.

Dear rickdude,
Ihr Standpunkt ist richtig.
Ich bin davon überzeugt.

I agree with the unification of the name ”Zettelkasten”.
I would like to have the agreement of the members of this forum.

Hat jemand in diesem Forum eine Meinung zur Vereinheitlichung des Namens Zettelkasten?
Mit freundlichen Grüßen. WAKAMASTU

may I suggest that, to avoid future confusion, we standardize on the spelling of the key term, Zettelkasten

This is not, in my case, disrespect; my dyslexia occasionally expresses itself in abysmal spelling. I think I might not be alone in this.

1 Like