Can I use tinderbox to store images I am brainstorming for a project?

Hi

I created a new tinderbox file to manage several projects, it’s titled “Plans and Projects”. Inside it I have a container called “Reception for veterinary clinic”.

Now, I hate disorder and mess, which is how I find ideas over the internet. So what I want to use tinderbox is maybe create a kind of “floor plan”, like the one mentioned in “getting started with tinderbox” where you create the geography of a school and add adornments for the several buildings the story is going to take place.

My idea is to create something similar with an adorment saying maybe “Reception” and dumping there maybe 5 images of possible desks I can use, this way I can see my images in the environment they are connected. Instead of storing them inside a folder inside pinterest completely unattached to my project note, or outside a folder without any context.

My fear is making my tinderbox file slow due to the media attached. Maybe I could use another software and create links inside the adornments. This is where I’d appreciate your feedback and experience.

Thank you.

I’m adding this image as an example.

I have the “Desk” area (escritorio) which inside has a note called “Ideas”, and maybe store inside that note all the inspiration images I find. I don’t think I’ll add really more than 10.

1 Like

You can use images fairly freely in modest quantities; many of the old warnings here don’t apply anymore.

But Tinderbox isn’t really great at organizing images per se; the images are opaque to agents and actions. So if you want to organize hundreds of images, a specialized program like Curio or DEVONthink is a great tool to use with Tinderbox.

Then I’d use something like hookmark to create a link from the note to the app I’m actually using to store the image?

1 Like

Or the item’s URL, or file reference. Depends on the application.

1 Like

Actually, I organize hundreds of images and videos in Tinderbox. I do this by having a specific media prototype, pMedia. This prototype uses a tMedia template to render images in preview. I use an $Edict to populate $Fill and $HoverImage. I populate a $Term(set) so that I can run agents.

Note with Hover

HTML Template

Fill and Preview Example

Copying the file path to the images stored on my harddrive

To show the Path Bar go to the View menu

See sample:
TBX L - SImple Image Management.tbx (215.6 KB)

3 Likes

That’s a great workflow, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

BTW, I have significantly more nuanced flows with this, one’s that include a config not (e.g., TBXConfig) that holds the default path and directories for media. That way I can have universal paths. All I need to do is specify $Type and $MediaFileName, and the correct image, video, or audio file will be selected; moreover, my templates are setup to let me locally adjust $MediaPath or $MediaDir to change the lookup of the local file. Likewise, I have a function that helps me distinguish between local media and online medical, e.g., Video. This way I can pull embedded YouTube, Vimeo, or Kaltura videos into my files, and all I need is the $MediaID or embed URL from the embed code, the rest is automated. It is quite a slick solution.

I like the image workflow you present, Michael, and downloaded the example file. I’ve created a Prototype based on your pMediaFile and successfully invoked the image attachment and Fill: it looks great!
Until I move the note, that is! Moving - even clicking on the select the note in Map view, seems to break the link to my selected image. Any text I’d entered in the Note remains, but the image disappears.
Has this been your experience? Or might you recognize an incantation that I’ve failed to employ? Thanks.

Hey there, no, that has not been my experience. I never lose my image or text. If you click on the $Text field, you won’t see the preview anymore. the $FIll and $Hover should work just fine. What version of TBX are you using? I’m not sure what you mean by “seems to break the link to my selected image.” Can you share a sample file or view that illustrates your issue?

The link to your selected image is a link to a place on your disk. As long as the image remains where you said it was, the link ought to be fine.

I think I’ve discovered a flaw in my approach / interpretation.
If I populate $Fill by (1) clicking the folder image and (2) selecting my image file, then (3) populate $MediaPath by copy+paste from the new $Fill, then I do NOT reproduce the problem I’d cited. I see doing this also populates $HoverImage.
If I populate $Fill per above but do NOT populate $MediaPath, THEN I observe the behavior I’d reported, namely image disappears on moving / selecting Note AND $Fill is depopulated.
There appears to be some implicit interconnectedness amongst the DAs that I had not appreciated.
Thanks for your clarification.

This is NOT a flaw in your approach. If you look at my initial example see the image " Fill and Preview Example." You’ll note in the file I provided that I have an $Edict that is automatically populating $Fill and $HoverImage from the value of $MediaPath.

$Fill=$MediaPath;
$HoverImage=$MediaPath;

So, all you need to do is populate $MediaPath and TBX will take care of the rest.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing this out - I’d missed it. Makes so much more sense now!

1 Like