HTML double quotation problem

When writing notes in HTML, the symbol (A) separating the numbers in the code below changes to (B) on its own while switching between Text and Preview, and the display is corrupted. Why is this?

(A)

width="400"

(B)- broken preview

width=“400”

As a result, I have responded by removing the quotation marks and using only numbers after the =. Is this the correct response?

In the meantime, the Preview display will be accurate.

Writing HTML where? I think the issue is auto-conversion of ‘straight’ quotes to typographic (‘curly’) quotes. Most code treats the two as different whereas in test they just look different as if simply different fonts. Side note: under the hood that are different character numbers.

So by default auto-conversion of single/double straight quotes in $Text on but it is off (disabled) in notes using the built-in Action, HTML or Code prototypes. The latter set $SmartQuotes to off. Smart quoting can also be controlled from the menu Format ▸ Text.

More on smart quotes.

If is isn’t smart quotes, then we might need a bit more detail.

1 Like

Mark is right. if you are writing your HTML in $Text then you’ll want to display the $SmartQuotes attribute and set it to false. This will let you run in-line HTML in $Text, e.g. <scr="image path" width="400">.

Note, I’m increasing. convinced, when at all possible, it is better to put the image name or path into an attribute and then to use action code, a template, or a combination of the two to generate the structure and appearance you want. This goes for bullets, tables, and more. You really do want to keep your $Text and related content (aka attributes) as devoid of structure and appearance as possible. By so doing you can then have TBX do the work through templates and CSS to render your content in pretty much any way you want. Yes, it may feel like a bit more work on the frontend, but on the backend and overall it saves so much time as your frontend work is reusable, your content is repurposable, and you learn the fundamental languages of the internet and computing–HTML, CSS, regex, command line, etc–i.e., all transferable knowledge and skills that can be used across other domains.

1 Like

I found the smart quote check box in the document setting window.
Thanks! :smile:

Hi, Michael.
Thanks a lot for the detailed description.!!
I don’t know much about the program, so that helps.
For now, it’s enough if I can do something simple like inserting a preview image into a sentence rather than writing HTML, so I’ll try to build the best flow based on what you’ve taught me. :grin: :grin:

Not to worry, the program, system, and process will reveal themselves over time. We’re here for you. Keep the questions coming. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot!
I had registered since Version 6, but gave up because it was too difficult, but Tinderbox still fits my brain the best.
I am glad that Tinderbox is going to be my tool this time, since it has helped me a lot in the Forum here.
:grin: :grin: :laughing:

Ya, me too! I started–trying–to use it back in 2009, it was not until 2019 that I committed to figuring it out and my life has forever changed, for the better, since then. Here is an article I wrote in 2020 a year after my restart: An end-to-end Professional, Academic, & Personal 5Cs of Knowledge Management Workflow (Updated). You might find this useful I’ve learned so much and grown since then,

3 Likes

Wow!
5C reads very interesting.
I’ll study it!!
Thanks a lot!!! :kissing_heart: :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Be sure to watch this video from the 14th, it encapsulates a lot of refinements to the 5Cs system: Tinderbox Lesson - Meetup Sunday 14Aug22: Working with Ordered and Numbered Lists [A near complete review of the 5Cs and Tinderbox] - #2 by satikusala.

1 Like