Retrieve the EXIF data of an image

Simple example how to use the ExifTool command-line application.
You can read and write the exif meta data of an image file from Tinderbox.

There is a global preferences file call „gPreferences“. Fill out the two attributes $MediaPath and $MediaDir with your local setting. The $MediaPath contains the path to a base directory („/Users/username/Desktop/testimg/„) and $MediaDir („Media/„) expects a folder in this directory.

To play with the demo file be sure to edit the $MediaPath attribute!

The main function is called getExifSingleImage_db(theImageName,theFormat) but I use a wrapper functions called getExifIfNewImage_db(theFormat) here.

getExifIfNewImage_db expects a string to specify the output format. Possible values are: "json“, „html“, „short“ or „tbx“. The last one returns the EXIF data in a dictionary format you could use directly in Tinderbox. The function expects an attribute $MediaFileName in the note you attach the function too. This should contain the name of the image you like to explore. The function will run only if the $Text is empty.

You find those two functions in the note cExifTools.

testimg.zip (1.9 MB)

Have fun,
Detlef

4 Likes

This is VERY cool! Can you confirm the site to download the tool? How do we verify that the installation package is free of malware?

Hi Michael,
sorry forgot the URL: https://exiftool.org
This is a tool that existed for years (decades) and the developer should be considered as a very serious source :wink:
Best, Detlef

1 Like

Awesome! You trust it I trust.

Makes me think about community. We’ve never met physically in person, but through the mutual exchange of value and support trust is formed. On the note of trust, does anyone out there have any academic meta-analysis around the formation of trust (important for the doctoral research I’m working on).

1 Like

by the way - initial release of the ExifTool: Nov. 19, 2003 - Version 1.00

Cool! BTW, i noticed that it does not work if there is a space in the path name. Also, do you know if it will pull the lat/long form the file?

Any special characters (spaces, dollar signs, greater than, less than, etc)
must be either quoted or escaped with backslashes. You could open the Terminal app and drop the file into the terminal window and you get a working path to your image.
The ExifTool will give you everything stored in the EXIF meta data. Some apps store the lat/lon and some don’t do it. You can never rely on a field in the EXIF dataset - sometimes they are empty.

Michael, not something I have much expertise in, but this might be a good general starting point:

• Uslaner, Eric M. (Hrsg.) (2018): The Oxford Handbook of Social and Political Trust . New York: Oxford University Press.

More specifically in your area, these might be useful:

• Citrin, Jack und Laura Stoker (2018): Political Trust in a Cynical Age, in: Annual Review of Political Science 21 (1), S. 49-70.
  • Eastlick, M., S. Lotz und P. Warrington (2006): Understanding online B-to-C relationships: An integrated model of privacy concerns, trust, and commitment, in: Journal of business research 59 (8), S. 877-886.

Hope that helps, Best! Andreas

1 Like

Putting on my hat as a social psychologist for a moment, I’d say you are basically asking “How does society work?”

In order for our behaviour to be targeted, and not completely random, we need to be able to predict the results of our behaviour, whether it be hitting a nail with a hammer, or starting a conversation with someone about the weather. A certain degree of predictability (hence trust) is the foundation for social interactions.

If one wants to dive into this deeply, then it is probably useful to know something of Attribution Theory – which deals with how we perceive causes and effects, and the sometimes surprising influence of culture and context on how we make attributions (see the Heading “Culture bias” in that article).

Sitting in my bed on a Sunday morning with no reference works around me, I have to rely on a shaky memory, but I would think that perceptions of predictability – trust – rely heavily on whether we perceive someone to be similar to us. This is connected with the “us and them” response, an automatic reaction which happens in the brain so fast that it occurs below the level of consciousness. For a quick explanation of this, watch Robert Sapolsky talk about it.

Sapolsky is always worth listening to, and anyone who has a serious interest in understanding human behaviour could do worse than reading his (very large) book “Behave”.

I’ll stop for now!

1 Like

Very cool! Ath attribution theory puzzle pieces fit nicely to the expectancy (Atkinson, 1950) and attitude theory (Rosenberg, 1956), and the 30+ technology adoption theories, I’ve been modeling. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I’ll chase these down.

You might also take a look at Trust by Francis Fukuyama. It’s less glib than his best seller (s), I promise :wink:

1 Like