Tinderbox Meetup SATURDAY 2 September Video: A broad discussion on memory, thinking and knowledge management

Tinderbox Meetup SATURDAY 2 September Video: A broad discussion on memory, thinking and knowledge management

Level Intermediate
Published Date 9/3/23
Type Meetup
Tags 5Cs, 5Cs Learning and Knowledge Management, Memory, Thinking, Tinderbox
Video Length 01:32:07
Chat chat.txt (17.6 KB)
Video URL https://youtu.be/ei4-JwmhpLU
TBX Version 9.6
Instructor Michael Becker

In today’s Tinderbox meetup, we dove deep into the concepts of memory, thinking and how Tinderbox plays the role of the “data hub” among our insights. We explored a far-ranging set of topics and ideas.

Topics Discussed

• Nature of memory
  • Recording memory
  • Fragility of memory and recall
  • Journalling, “day book,” note-taking
  • Finding information in context
  • Capture life history in a way that is meaningful
  • The role of Tinderbox plays in today and “my” future life
  • Using Tinderbox in a constellation of tools
  • Personal knowledge management
  • How to document just enough knowledge so that you can modify systems to move forward
  • Metadata vs. meaningful data
  • Timeline mapping a Disney History review project
  • “Real data is often lump”
  • AI does not know what is not there, and often it is not their it might make it up
  • Metacongition
  • You don’t have to use the same tool for everything
  • Incrementally formalization
  • Embrace: sometime it is much easier if I do it in another tool
  • Tinderbox allows me to float without formally structuring my data
  • We need to stop thinking with a paper mindset and thing with a digital/metadata mindset
  • Not-taking is a process for being kind to the “future you.”
  • Hypertext is a mode of thinking that affords us the ability to step outside of the linearity of our training and to work in an environment where not everything in known
  • Need a human meatbag in the loop, tech determinism is not as useful as we may thing–the meatbag helps make meaning from “random connections” that tech may not see.
  • Tinderbox lets you associate completed discrete pieces of data that would otherwise be unallocated
  • We don’t really understand what knowledge it. What is “Knowledge”? We need to figure out humans think. We are not rational. We reason backward by analysis of feelings.
  • The underlying problem is that we are not rational creators, we are ruled by emotion and feelings…
  • What’s becoming apparent in the digital age that the paper is only one narrative and often not even the most useful one to the community at large, yet the other narratives aren’t (often) resourced. To be clear, this isn’t a zero-sum observation. I’m raising the issue that we’re being slow to think beyond (digital) paper."

Notable Quotes

Art Currin: “Tinderbox is the best ‘hub’ app out there.”
Bill "The failure is at a human level in assuming that writing a paper about [work] is the output*.
Bruce “I just realized there’s an entirely new reason for attending and enjoying these meetings. Ninety minutes of robust conversation and none one second of it devoted to USA politics.”

Dennis Lienke

Sequence 1: { events, data, information, *knowledge, *wisdom } “DIKW”
Sequence 2: { inputting(reading, experimenting), noting(text,maps,graphics),
learning(testing,recalling) → *memory, *brain, *mind }

I’m comfortable with #1, except that I think most references to
knowledge-management, as in software, should be information-management
because the knowledge management happens internally to humans.

With #2, I’m most interested with activities up to the *-ed items – I think
that I do not have enough time left on earth` to undertake a serious study of
those – cursory readings are OK, bit no in-depth research nor following the
progress.

Resources

Please comment

Please help with the development of future sessions by answering the three questions below.

• What were your top 2~3 key takeaways from this lesson?
  • What do you want to learn next? Learn more about?
  • What exercises would help reinforce your learning?
3 Likes

For those who might want to know a little more about the psychology of memory, Elizabeth Loftus is probably not a bad place to start. See:

1 Like