Tinderbox 9.5 Is Now Available

Tinderbox 9.5 is now available!

Highlights: Tinderbox: What’s New In Tinderbox 9.5
Download: Tinderbox: Downloads

Release notes: See Tinderbox Help.

9 Likes

Editing transcluded notes is really really great. Thank you very much!

4 Likes

aTbRef95 is now live: A Tinderbox Reference File (also via https://atbref.com)

3 Likes

The (TBX outline derived) structure of the new baseline changes, so those of you who bookmark pages may/will need to update them. Real busy right now but i’ll try and expand on those in a day or so.

Oh, for a quick start on v.9.5 new items/changes, see v9.5.0b597 (9 Dec 2022).

The atbref9 baseline has been refreshed with a banner to show it is out of date.

Also a big thank you to @eastgate for helping keep me appraised of late changes to achieve near simultaneous update of aTbRef for the new version

3 Likes

Love this update! Now, when Tinderbox does a better job of storing images, should I re-upload old images to make the document more memory efficient or Tinderbox will automatically deal with them?

Not sure, but I don’t think existing doc’s embedded images are re-processed. If worried about you could delete the images, save the doc and re-add them, but it seems a lot of effort. The vhanges mainly target new documents or newly added images to existing documents.

1 Like

You can replace images, and that might be prudent. Editing a note that has an image will compress the image, but perhaps not as thoroughly as a new image.

1 Like

Tinderbox 9.5 not working in Mojave?
I am a little disappointed.
When I open the Tinderbox 9.5 download dmg.
OS 10.14 Mojave does not work with it ??
A ban symbol appears above the Tinderbox icon.
On the Official Site.
Tinderbox runs superbly on Apple Silicon and Big Sur,
as well as macOS 10.13 and later.
What does that mean?
Does mac OS 10.13 mean that Tinderbox runs superbly
only on Apple Silicon and Big Sur, as well as on macOS 10.13 and later?
Please provide a solution.
Yours, WAKAMATSU

The technical requirements are here and from that page:

From v9.5.0, Tinderbox requires macOS 11 (Big Sur) or later.

Tinderbox v9.0.0 runs on macOS Big Sur (11.x), Catalina (10.15) and Mojave (10.14) and High Sierra (10.13).

For Sierra (10.12), El Capitan (10.11) and Yosemite (10.10), use Tinderbox 8.5.

Note that not all features run old the older supported OS versions, especially those using AI and Machine Learning techniques. There is a list of such features.

So, to run v9.5.0 and later you need to be running macOS 11.x (Big Sur) or later. Or, stay as v9 (last release v9.3.0).

Tinderbox, since the big re-design for v6, is built using Apple code frameworks and these too evolve and some older components are dropped or deprecated. I’m not sure which which exact feature caused the oldest OS supported to move to 11 but it will have been necessary in order to use the frameworks currently needed. Eastgate is travelling at present so a more detailed answer—if any—may have to wait until next week.

Dear Dr.Mark Andeson,
Thank you for the explanation.
But the explanation on the site
Tinderbox: Tinderbox 9
not says that Tinderbox 9.5 can only be used from OS11.
It is written in a way that makes it difficult to make a decision.
I think it would be easier for users to understand if this were corrected, so I would like to hear from Eestgate. Please revise.
It is true that Tinderbox.app works on a variety of OS X.
The Technical Requirements
[Technical Requirements] clearly state this.
Yours, WAKAMATSU
P.S…
I wish I had known this information earlier.

I can’t speak about pages on the Eastgate site (as I don’t create/edit those), but I do take take on board you point. As notes, @eastgate is travelling so this might need to be addressed next week.

In fairness, the Eastgate’s main Tinderbox page (I assume from yesterday) mention’s v9.5. and refers on to their v9.5.0 page. The latter doesn’t mention the change in minimum specs but perhaps should—and likely will soon enough.

Note, v9.3.0 can still be downloaded if you need to re-install it.

I suggest we pause this discussion until @eastgate is back from travelling.

I’m very sorry.

Yes: you’ll need macOS 11 (Big Sur) or later. Catalina goes back to 2019, so it’s becoming quite old — and we’re already on macOS 13. Requiring the (modestly) newer operating system has some significant technical advantages.

I have a dumb question about one of the new brainstorming features.

Right now, using Foo @ Bar creates two notes Foo and Bar and links them, and sets the latter to be a place prototype.

Is there a way to similarly “quickly enter titles and have them linked”, but without fixing a prototype ?

Not via the $Name entry. Generating links/back-links is a feature of the zip method for making text links.

More on the brainstorming method for new notes.

I’m not sure I follow entirely. Could you walk us through an example?

Sure, an example would be typing note1 @ note2 and having both being created and linked together without the second being considered a place.

I think @mwra answered my question (thank you!)

BTW, I have several videos on linking, e.g., Tinderbox Training Video 51- Linking With Tinderbox. See Mastering Tinderbox: Training Videos (Complete List). I’ve found the most robust and useful way to do this is to use action code and attributes to both create and link notes once you get over a certain number of notes, the visual affordances break down (that is until the hyperbolic view matures). By using attributes, you can take action against the links, pass data back and more, etc. Very powerful.

Note: my linking strategy has matured quite a bit since this initial video, but the video does explain the basic premise.