Tinderbox Meetup, Saturday Sept. 12, 2026

Topics (per last week’s meeting):

Also, bring your projects and puzzlements! Everyone is welcome. Long-time Tinderbox users, new Tinderbox users, and non-Tinderbox users are very welcome to join in on the discussion.

9 AM Pacific Time
Noon Eastern time
1300 São Paulo
1600 UTC
1700 London
1800 Paris
2130 Delhi

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/6179249044?pwd=c0szQnZaaGUrWGsxalZKK1dSejFEZz09&omn=81068119678

Meeting ID: 617 924 9044
Passcode: tinderbox

For more details and to join the conversation with the Tinderbox community, visit the Tinderbox Forum: https://forum.eastgate.com/.Bring your projects and puzzlements! Everyone is welcome. Long-time Tinderbox users, new Tinderbox users, and non-Tinderbox users are very welcome to join in on the discussion.

The NY Times article is paywalled. Some more links on the organization on Lighthaven/Rationalists (the first is a synopsis of the NY Times article):

Here’s a gift link to the NYT article.

I’m keen to learn your thoughts on avoiding the collection fallacy for this use case. I’ve collected gigabytes of meeting notes, and my future self rarely finds them useful. I’d love to learn how Tinderbox could help us get more out of these types of artifacts created by AI.

the gift link still requested my email address, which i was loath to proffer; thus the alternate articles.

New gift link! https://www.nytimes.com/2025/08/04/technology/rationalists-ai-lighthaven.html?unlocked_article_code=1._1A.P009.XIkXuFZvm5aS&smid=url-share

1 Like

Speaking of the AI “religion”, I thought this post by Cal Newport to be highly insightful, specifically this question and the potential answer he posed:

Why have these particular AI companies made these alarming long-horizon LLM-powered agents so central to their efforts? I’m not certain of the answer, but if I were to guess, it probably has a lot to do with the Silicon Valley technological salvation ideology (to borrow a term ​from Adam Becker​) that ​heavily influenced​ key figures like Sam Altman and Dario Amodei, as well as many of their employees. They think these types of agents are their best bet to summon the digital deity of superintelligent AI which, in their futurist eschatology, will either heal the world or destroy it. In some sense, they see themselves as prophets attempting to usher in a new Messianic age.

1 Like

I think we may be getting far afield from Tinderbox, but I wonder about Newport’s conjecture. It depends on “key figures like Sam Altman and Dario Amodei”. Do these guys matter to the science? I am skeptical, but far from the epicenter. They may have read too much Ayn Rand, but so have their loudest critics.

(I’m also skeptical of the “new Messianic age”: was there an old one? Did I miss the memo?)

I think this is a political effort to limit access to computers across the board, I cannot see how it can succeed in regulating AI: if you ban it in the US, China will just win the coming war sooner. If you ban it in the US and China and South Korea and Japan, six Norwegian teenagers will build it in their parents’ basement.

2 Likes

Tinderbox Meetup 12Setpt26: AI & Automation, Rubrics, Building Smarter Knowledge Workflows