Mastering Tinderbox: Training Videos (Complete List)

Yes of course - thanks for any help you might suggest

I use Devonthink to curate PDFs and bookmarks for citations to the medical literature. I would like to use custom metadata in DT3 to curate that literature by various criteria, i.e. treatment works, treatment does not work, landmark study, etc. Then I want to take that information and import it to Tinderbox, partly for further analysis and mostly as a “report generator.” In Tinderbox, I would set up Agents and Stamps which would in part act on the custom metadata from DT3 and in part act on $Text from the abstracts in that data.

A well-known and respected participant on the DT3 forums suggested the following though he was limited in how much of his own code/scripting he could share due to his employer’s rules:

If you happen to look into how to use a “watched DEVONthink group” in Tinderbox, note that by default the only user modifiable metadata that Tinderbox imports is “Tags”. In Tinderbox, “Tags” is a “set” type attribute. In a Tinderbox set you can create key:value pairs. In DEVONthink you can create tags of the form “key:value”. So you can pass all manner of custom metadata from DEVONthink to Tinderbox by placing the key:value pairs into DEVONthink tags and retrieving them from the synchronized Tinderbox tags. (Tinderbox calls set attributes that contain key: value pairs “look-up tables”.)

I suspect the ability to transfer custom metadata from DT3 to attributes in Tinderbox would thus help for my workflow but also may be applicable to many other users of both apps as well.

Got it, yes. I think I have just what you need. Give me a day or two to pull it together.

2 Likes

HI ,

Great format of the videos keeping them bytesized and small . Please do keep them coming.

You might want to consider dividing the videos into Basics / Intermediate / Advance sections . This will allow newcomers(such as me) to go directly to relevant playlist.

Last Feedback
There’s a massive increase in difficulty ratio from Video 2 to Video 3 for a newbie.
Video 3 when you are typing the query , it’s very difficult to see the same in 480p format(which was the best available option) , it would help if you could “Zoom” that part.

Also SO many icons in your dock ! HOLY MOLY

Nice idea, I’ve added a level flag.

Totally agree, I’m going to [slowly] pull these together in between work. So, they’ll come in based on timing and inspiration (ideas from others will help with the prioritization).

Great point. I don’t have a lot of time for editing right now. Would love help with this, if someone is interested. In the meantime, I’ll put the code in the notes or just upload the file with the video.

You should see how many tabs I keep open. :wink:

Absolutely wonderful work Michael. Just watched the first video and even though I’ve used Tinderbox for many, many years on and off, I picked up some valuable ideas from just the first video

Tinderbox has added so much capability incrementally over the years that it’s useful to have a step back and see a comprehensive use of the current tools.

One note on the first video- At some point explain how you type the title and start inputting text without mousing around. The DoubleClick-Title-Return-Space-Text reflex has become completely automatic for me but took a while to figure out as the sequence.

1 Like

Just added a video on prototypes. BTW, anyone have some thoughts on the best way to manage this? Should we create individual entries for each video so that they can be individually commented on, or do we maintain this master list? Thoughts?

I’ve generally generated web pages (that I can access/edit) e.g. this for my Clarify tutorials.

I’m not sure forum threads are the place to park the bulk of the detail, better to have a hub-page to link out to that has all the listings. Where that should be I’m less sure.

. RIP: 32-bit and sunsetted, sadly.

1 Like

Yes, that is a good idea for a repository, but doing so we lose the community interaction and comments. It is up to the forum leaders (e.g. you and Mark) but maybe I/we create one post per video and maintain one post to aggregate them all. That way people can make comments to the individual training and provide suggestions on how to make them better, but they can also go to the consolidated post, i.e. this one, or they can simply go to the YouTube channel; however, it would be nice to keep the comments and posts in the forum to benefit the community.

1 Like

Sure we can make threads per video, I don’t see a problem with that.

New category Training Videos has been created. I’ve moved the per-movie threads there.

2 Likes

These are excellent

If you have the inspiration sometime to consider a video on HTML export templates that would be really helpful

2 Likes

+1 would find these useful!

Fantastic idea and excellent execution @satikusala!! I’m going through them all, even the concepts I’ve already grokked. Great revision :+1:t4:

3 Likes

The videos (I’ve watched four so far) have been so very helpful!

1 Like

PS : If this is wrong place to request , let me know where !

Could I request for a video on Linking ? Different types of linking ?? How to link without zip links ? How to use keyboard shortcuts to link notes ? How to link to notes note in the same view etc?

1 Like

I suspect this is a method from another app. Historically, links were made via drag-drop, then action code support was added, then AppleScript. most recent is the ziplinks method for making links. Note that a ‘ziplink’ is not a type of link; the term refers to how this link is made.

Confusion arises because some users have only over used tools that rely on wiki-style link mark-up using square brackets. The Ziplinks method is designed to help those people and to facilitate keyboard-only link creation.

Until a video is available, link creation is covered in some detail here (and its sub-pages).

A post was split to a new topic: Linking methods

Michael (and Mark) - just wanted to say that these videos are a terrific resource. I’ve been using TBX for years, but I’ve learned a lot of great tips from watching them. Thank you!

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I can not longer edit the complete list with the new videos.